How do you make Portal/Enterprise available on a different top-level domain?

05-31-2019 03:18 PM
RadoslawCylwik
New Contributor III

How do I configure Enterprise (Portal, ArcGIS Servers and applications) to be available on a different top-level domain.  Currently everything is configured for the intranet (.net) but would also need to be available out to the internet (.org).  This is done via the organization's external facing gateway.  I just don't know where and how to achieve this.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Travis_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hello!

This is most commonly achieved by configuring a reverse proxy outside of your intranet (most commonly in a DMZ). The most common reverse proxy you will see here discussed on GeoNet is Esri's Web Adaptor which comes in your installation of ArcGIS Enterprise. This Web Adaptor (one for Server and one for Portal) will be installed/configured on a server outside of your internal network and will forward incoming traffic to the Portal/Server which are sitting within your internal network. I have linked below some of our documentation as well as our documentation regarding ArcGIS Server and a reverse proxy as I find it the most helpful (due to the visuals!).

Server with a reverse proxy

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/install/windows/single-machine-deployment-with-revers...

Implementing ArcGIS Web Adaptor with Portal for ArcGIS

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/web-adaptor/latest/install/iis/implement-arcgis-web-adaptor-portal....

Reverse proxy server with Portal for ArcGIS

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/administer/windows/using-a-reverse-proxy-server-with-...

Regards,

Travis

0 Kudos
RadoslawCylwik
New Contributor III

Travis,

Thank you for your response. I have seen some of the documentation you’ve mentioned.

We were previously able to configure an App to use “location.origin” in JavaScript in the constants.js file, instead of using a fixed URL, ie .net. Is there any way to do that for the Portal/ArcGIS Server as a whole or is the Web Adaptor the only work around?

Thanks,

Rad

Radoslaw Cylwik, #68026

CAU Assistant Administrator / GIS Manager

Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office | Crime Analysis Unit

Office: 904.630.7006 | Desk: 904.630.7893 | Fax: 904.630.4709

Radoslaw.Cylwik@jaxsheriff.org<mailto:Radoslaw.Cylwik@jaxsheriff.org>

Unless otherwise noted, the material contained in this document is considered active criminal intelligence and as such, is exempt from disclosure via the Florida Public Records Law (F.S.S. 119.07)

0 Kudos
Travis_Esri
Esri Contributor

Great question!

I think what you are referring to is more of Esri's resource-proxy (GitHub - Esri/resource-proxy: Proxy files for DotNet, Java and PHP. ). If you take a look at the first section of the github page you will see what the proxy files can and cannot be used for. That is something that is a separate workflow from making Portal/Server accessible to the public. Making Server/Portal accessible to the outside world is more along the lines of setting up a (or finding an existing) web server (IIS/Tomcat or otherwise, with a reverse proxy or two) between some firewalls.

Thanks!

Travis

0 Kudos