How do you give an arcgis account access to a folder?

06-23-2015 11:38 AM
RyanMeier
New Contributor II

I am trying to register a folder for ArcGIS for Server, but every time I try an do so I get this error: "The ArcGIS Server is not able to connect to the specified directory.  Please ensure the folder exists and has the appropriate permissions for the ArcGIS Server to access it." 

I thought I set all the Sharing and Permission to read/write, but I'm still getting the error.  I know this may be basic, but does anyone know of a step by step instruction that shows how to do this?

I've gone into the folder properties and clicked on the "Advanced Sharing", but most forms end there, and I don't know what to do after that (if this is even what I am suppose to be doing). 

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

7 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

What version of server are you using?

You can give user 'everyone' rw access to the shared drive, but your network guys might have a fit....

That should just about do it....
RyanMeier
New Contributor II

I tried that and still get the same error when I try to register the folder.  Also I forgot to mention, if it matters, that The IT guys set up the server, not me.  I have the arcgis account and server manager account, but I did not install the server.  And the folder I am trying to register is on the Server itself. 

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Make sure "arcgis" account has read/write permission to the parent-folder containing the folder to be registered. Restart ArcGIS Server service.

Does it help?

Think Location
DanielUrbach
Occasional Contributor II

Ryan,

The permissions you need to set are not in the 'Sharing' tab in the properties of the folder, but in the 'Security' tab.

Once you are there, check to see if the ArcGIS Server service account (the default is 'arcgis') is in there, if it is, click on it and confirm that that user has at least read and write access to the folder.  If it does not, click on 'edit', select the name once again, and check the appropriate checkboxes, then click apply.

If you do not see the user listed, click on 'edit' then 'add' and enter the user's name.  If the service account is a local Windows user, enter the name of the machine, backslash then the name of the user ( for example: mycomp\arcgis ).  If the account is a domain user, enter the name of the domain, backslash, then the name of the user ( for example: mydomain\arcgis ).

Then give this user at least read and write permissions.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

But what if the data is in machine (m1) and the ArcGIS Server is in machine (m2) where these two machines are on the same group? How the ArcGIS Server User Account in machine m2 can have an access to the D drive of machine m1?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I got the error below:

Failed to register the server machine 'JAMALNUMAN1'. Machine 'JAMALNUMAN1' cannot access 'd_jamalnuman1_Orthophotos_WB_2019', 'Orthophotos_GS_2019' data store(s) registered with the site. Please ensure that the ArcGIS Server account has read and write access to the data store(s).

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
MayankKushwah
New Contributor

Same Issue I am also getting can anybody help us ?

0 Kudos