how do i use the "add Arcgis server" function?

01-04-2016 02:55 AM
donjinyouyo
New Contributor

i have a question that is should i have a own website with me first?

i have no idea about this  step

i try the everything i can do

but it doesn't work.....

so my question is should i have to build a new website for myself??

0 Kudos
15 Replies
VojtěchBlažek1
New Contributor III

With this "tool" you connecting some machine where are map services like image, feature, etc. stored.

There are many of arcgis server.

Basic server is Folder: /​ .

Here is a detailed step by step guide, how to connect arcgis server.

About connecting to ArcGIS Server in ArcGIS for Desktop—Installation Guides (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcG...

donjinyouyo
New Contributor

hello sir

so did u mean that i have to create a new website by sth?

or i can just follow the suggestion you give me?

0 Kudos
VojtěchBlažek1
New Contributor III

I dont know what software you have. If you dont have ArcGIS for Server, you cannot make your own arcgis server (server connection). Its not a website. Its server (machine) where are running some map services.

Example: Iam using arcgis server of State Administration of Land Surveying and Cadastre (ags.cuzk.cz/arcgis/rest/services) to upload detailed Imagery map of Czech republic or Hillshade into my ArcMap (ArcGIS online). There are lots of servers like this one or by ESRi etc. Type in google arcgis/rest/services

To create your own server you need 1) server (machine or cloud) and 2) instaled ArcGIS for Server on it.

0 Kudos
donjinyouyo
New Contributor

and there is a big problem to me is...

My arccgis version is 10.

but i m a student

i mean my arcgis is formal one it's fake

so can i just use arcgis sever for 10 version@@?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

You would have to have a license for arcgis server to create a "web site" (actually a REST endpoint to ArcGIS Server services)...or you can find some that exist and are public for testing. If you are a student and getting access to the software thru them, they may already have a server set up for you to use.  Check with them.

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Rebecca,

Just to clarify, ArcMap does not use REST services, as mentioned in my reply to Vojtech.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Thanks for correcting me Michael. My mistake.

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Rebecca, Meh, it's not a mistake, as REST endpoints are indeed created... just not applicable in this instance.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Maybe misleading is a better description.  The terminology and the relationship/difference between the terms is a bit fuzzy for me sometimes. 

0 Kudos