How do I register an AWS S3 bucket as a cloud store on Enterprise 10.5 (Windows).

Jump to solution
01-09-2017 09:50 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm trying to register an AWS S3 bucket as a cloud store on Server Enterprise 10.5, but always get the error message, "PARENT_NOT_REGISTERED" when attempting to do so.

The server is running on a AWS EC2 windows instance. The bucket and instance are both in the same region and the Access ID i am using has full right to the bucket.

I have tried through manager in the following 3 browsers, Chrome, IE and Firefox.

Also, how do I use an IAM role instead of an Access ID, (I know how to create the roles, just not sure how to do so specifically for allowing access to S3 bucket for the EC2 instance.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

This is a bug during the upgrade process:

BUG-000102518 - After upgrade, Server is missing data items introduced at 10.5 (raster, cloud and big data file share)

Below is a workaround so you don't need to uninstall and reinstall:

1) Login to the ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory using the administrator account.
2) Click on data then registerItem.
3) In the box next to Item, copy and place the following to add the cloud store data item:
    {
      "path": "/cloudStores",
      "type": "datadir"
    }

4) Click Register Item to register the item to ArcGIS Server.
5) Repeat step 3 and 4 for the raster store and big data file share:
    {
      "path": "/rasterStores",
    }

{
      "path": "/bigDataFileShares",
    }

Now you'll be able to register the data stores within ArcGIS Server.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JonoHaimes1
New Contributor

Hi Dave,

Not sure if you are still having this issue but we were recently experiencing the same problem. We recently upgraded from ArcGIS Server 10.4.2 to 10.5 and installed ArcGIS Server over the top of the previous version. We noticed that we were missing crucial directories inside the ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory, see attached screenshots.

ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory 

Whenever we tried to register an AWS S3 bucket, we were getting the error "PARENT_NOT_REGISTERED".

Long story short, we needed to completely uninstall the previous version of ArcGIS Server before installing version 10.5. The new directories then appeared. Because cloud store registration is new to version 10.5, it seems to get forgotten about during install when you simply install over the top as it hangs on to the previous version config. So even though Esri say “No {no uninstall required}. If you already have an earlier version of ArcGIS Server installed, the setup will automatically upgrade it to ArcGIS Server 10.5 without any additional configuration”, I would say if you want to make use of completely new functionality then you need to do a complete uninstall/install. In this case there is definitely a BUG.  

Hope that helps,

Jono

JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

This is a bug during the upgrade process:

BUG-000102518 - After upgrade, Server is missing data items introduced at 10.5 (raster, cloud and big data file share)

Below is a workaround so you don't need to uninstall and reinstall:

1) Login to the ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory using the administrator account.
2) Click on data then registerItem.
3) In the box next to Item, copy and place the following to add the cloud store data item:
    {
      "path": "/cloudStores",
    }

4) Click Register Item to register the item to ArcGIS Server.
5) Repeat step 3 and 4 for the raster store and big data file share:
    {
      "path": "/rasterStores",
    }

{
      "path": "/bigDataFileShares",
    }

Now you'll be able to register the data stores within ArcGIS Server.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, both Jono and Johnathon - I can confirm that Johnathon response solved the issue and I can now create and register a Cloud Store - of course Jono's would too, but I didn't want to do a uninstall if I could avoid it.

Any there any other known bugs for the install of 10.5 similar or related to this one (we have not experienced any other issues with 10.5 so far).

Dave

0 Kudos