How can we reduce the amount of content in Portal's backup and log folders?

Jump to solution
02-15-2019 08:50 AM
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

We are preparing to upgrade our ArcGIS Enterprise from 10.5 to 10.6.1 and see over 3 GB of content in both the portal's backup folder and log folder.

The upgrade documentation lists a 2.5 factor of free space on the portal server's disk space.

How can we reduce the amount of content in these Portal for ArcGIS directories: backup and log?

Reference:

C:\arcgisportal\backup\walarchive\*

and

C:\arcgisportal\logs\database\pg_log\*.log

Federated site with ArcGIS Relational Datastore

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

If you move the DR tool off of the Portal machine, there may be a situation where the zipped up backup will be stored in a location that isn't accessible to all components, but it is accessible to the DR tool. I don't think that's too common but just in case...

It also lets you specify a specific backup to restore while still providing the location to extract the backups.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

The files in the walarchive directory can be deleted manually. They are only used for incremental backups. If you're not creating incremental backups they're of no use to you.

The database logs can also be deleted, but I wouldn't delete most active log as the database may complain it can't find it when it wants to write logs.

We plan on ensuring that no log files or files in general grow unbounded in Portal.

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Is BACKUP_STORE_PROVIDER required if using shared file systems? it is not included in the default webgisdrproperties file

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

The BACKUP_STORE_PROVIDER was added at 10.5.1 to support AmazonS3 as the storage location:

Create an ArcGIS Enterprise backup—Portal for ArcGIS (10.5.x) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

BACKUP_STORE_PROVIDER = {FileSystem | AmazonS3}

This property is new in 10.5.1. If you want to store your ArcGIS Enterprise backup in a file share location on premises, specify FileSystem, and the webgisdr utility will store your backup files in the file share you specify for BACKUP_LOCATION.

You won't see it if you're on 10.5.

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

same for BACKUP_LOCATION

why have two different locations? just point to same file share?

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

If you move the DR tool off of the Portal machine, there may be a situation where the zipped up backup will be stored in a location that isn't accessible to all components, but it is accessible to the DR tool. I don't think that's too common but just in case...

It also lets you specify a specific backup to restore while still providing the location to extract the backups.

ZianChoy
Occasional Contributor

By "walarchive directory", are you referring to "C:\arcgisportal\backup\walarchive"? I noticed it is 11 GB on a secondary server that only receives restores (I create backups from our primary Portal server).

0 Kudos