How can I show data with date field null in a time-enabled map service?

03-08-2018 08:12 AM
JakeJacobs
Occasional Contributor III

I have time-enabled my map layers when publishing from arcmap for two reasons: 1. to be able to set the timezone of my data and 2. to be able to use the time-slider widget.  The data represent inspection dates.  However, the field starts out null and doesn't get filled in until the inspection happens.  But I want to be able to see those features on the map before the inspection occurs as well as after.

I want the default behavior of the web map to be to see all of the data.  Only occasionally would they use the time slider widget to focus on a small subset of data.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Hi Erika - I have time enabled data, and when the widget is not enabled I see all of my data. Only when I turn the widget on do I see my features filtered by time. Are you seeing something different?

Time Widget closed:

Time Widget opened:

Adam Z

0 Kudos
JakeJacobs

I am seeing something different.  I'm just in the web map, not a web app.  I chose to disable time animation on the service (so the label now shows the option is to enable it):

But the null value features are still invisible in my map. 

When I disabled time on the particular layer in my mxd and republished, then they showed up in the web map...

0 Kudos
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Odd. When I disable time in the web map all my data is present. The only other thing I can think of is symbology is not allowing the data to be displayed, or there are filters on the data.

Adam Z

0 Kudos
JakeJacobs

Nope, the symbology is not based on the date field, nor are there any definition queries in the service or filters in the web map.

0 Kudos
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

The data that you published without time, can you enable time from within AGOL, add to a map, and then disable the time and see all of the data?

Does that make sense? The time settings for AGOL layers are on the Details page of the item.

Adam Z

0 Kudos
JakeJacobs

I'm not sure this makes sense to me.  In order to add the map service to the web map, I just use the "add layer from the web" and put in the url of my map service from my ArcGIS server.  The service isn't in AGOL on its own. 

0 Kudos
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Apologies Erika - I failed to realize you were ArcGIS Server based versus AGOL hosted. I was able to publish time-enabled data to my ArcGIS Server, add that rest endpoint as an item from the web, add it to a web map, disable time and see all of the data. What version of ArcGIS Server are you running?

Adam Z

0 Kudos
JakeJacobs

10.4, although I published from 10.2.1 arcmap.

0 Kudos