Select to view content in your preferred language

How are ArcGIS Enterprise Hosted Feature Layers Stored?

Jump to solution
12-22-2017 11:46 AM
AndrewRudin1
Occasional Contributor II

When a Pro user loads a feature class into ArcGIS Enterprise as a hosted feature layer, where is the bulk of the data actually stored?  In my example I am using the option "Copy all data" and using the Feature Layer type.

It was my impression that the data would reside in the relational data store.  However, when I test this on my sandbox ArcGIS Enterprise deployment, I see very large .sd files created under the Portal install folder at C:\arcgis\arcgisportal\content\items.  Is this .sd file the source that is actually read when users view data on a map?  And if so, then what is being stored in the data store?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

I understand, thanks for the input

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi Jon -  can you tell me where in the Relational Data Store directories the hosted layer is stored?  I can see my sd file in my portal content which is fine, but I am curious to know where my data store directories the file or files are stored, if possible.  I'm not trying any back-end manipulation, just trying to understand the datastore black-box a little better....

JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

The database structure doesn't lend itself to viewing the data in a meaningful way, so I can't say you'll gain much by doing so, but it's under the data directory that you used to configure the Data Store, for example C:\arcgisdatastore. In there is a pgdata folder and in that, a base folder. It's then up to the database on how it arranges the data in those directories.

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Great thank you.  Yes, I certainly understand.  It was more about monitoring growth, so I certainly appreciate your insight

0 Kudos