GIS layer slow performance in arcgis server 10.3, using oracle sde

06-22-2017 04:57 AM
ElieRizk
Occasional Contributor

i have a feature layer stored in an oracle sde, this layer is the dissolve output of ~1M parcels (with lot of vertices), the problem is that when i am using this layer in arcmap with symbology the layer perfermance is good, but when this layer is displayed in web application using arcgis map service it displays very slow and take around 10 seconds.

why the display performance differs between arcmap and arcgis server for the same layer in the same data source??

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Elie,

Have you tried to a Add Spatial Index—Help | ArcGIS Desktop ?

~Shan

~Shan
shan_sarkar

Did it work?

~Shan
ElieRizk
Occasional Contributor

i tried to do all the above suggestion and the performance is going well. in addition i discovered that i am using advanced symbols which are not liked by arcgis for server, after removing the advanced symbology the performance has been optimized.

thank you all.

shan_sarkar

Generally, whenever we use advanced symbols which are not created in ArcMap, we have them compressed to reduce the service load it helps out with the performance, additionally we have roll out all our service with all layers turned off as default and allow the user or the developer toggle (turn on/off) as per the request or requirement. 

If you are consuming services in some custom application you can remove all the symbols and have the developer provide the symbols when they fire queries on the layer, that will make the service even more light weight. But this will completely depend on client requirement. Luckily, the same service for us is not being consumed by some other vendor so we do not have to worry with that else we need to assign the symbols in the service.

Besides this there are quite few parameters you can tweak to fine tune and improve the performance of the service.

Tuning services in your ArcGIS Server site using best practices—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Tuning and configuring services—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Its a good read and things become more clear when you actually apply them in real time projects, I am sue you have already met these standards.

~Shan

~Shan