For those of your unfortunate enough to be upgrading to 10.6.1...

08-04-2018 02:52 PM
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

...and you're on IIS and you have Windows Updates managed "for you". There was known quality issue with a Windows Update that blows up IIS: It can't restart. As upgrading ArcGIS Server requires a reinstall of the Web Adaptor, which requires an IIS restart, you're stuff out of luck if you did try it. Fortunately, there is a sort of fix. 

See these threads for lots of troubleshooting and speculation:

My 2 cents, it'd be great if the WA install had some pre-install testing that could be run, so if any IIS stability issues are detected, it would recommend not uninstalling your current WA. 6 hours of my life I'll never get back, thanks M$........

5 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for sharing.  Our production systems are still 10.5.x, but we do have 10.6 in development and this may impact our upgrades there.  I see lots of references to 2012 R2.  We run 2016, so I will have to dig deeper to see if that version is impacted.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Did you see this issue in your devopment environment for 10.6.1?

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Yes, I foolishly uninstalled the 10.5.1 WA and attempted to install the 10.6.1 WA without checking to see if IIS would restart, something I know to check. Installing https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4338831/july172018kb4338831osbuildpreviewofmonthlyrollup  allowed me to proceed with the install. This was on production, not development. I'm so used to ArcGIS server upgrade working flawlessly...but there is a complicated arrangement of Portals and Wed Adaptors on our dev so.....take away my parking spot!

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

well....sort of "Dev". It's a server that supports a workgroup that spends most of the summer elsewhere.....they'll never know!

0 Kudos
DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

looks like the August 14 MS Update has been released

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4343888/windows-81-update-kb4343888 

- this should include the fix that was in the "preview" patch.