Feature Service visible via REST but not ArcGIS Desktop

Jump to solution
06-11-2014 12:29 PM
AndrewBrown1
Occasional Contributor II
I set up a feature service on one of our internal AGS machines. I registered my Oracle read/write database connection with the server (non-managed), and published it successfully. However, the Feature Service does not appear in ArcMap or ArcCatalog when I connect to that AGS box. I am, however, able to see it via the REST endpoint. Through REST, I am able to add it to an ArcGIS.com map and consume those features.

Why isn't my feature service appearing in ArcMap or ArcCatalog along with the other map services?

Note, the Map Service does appear, just not the Feature Service.

Thx
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndrewBrown1
I was able to figure it out.

It turns out that the Feature Service isn't visible if your GIS Server connection is created with an admin account. If I create the GIS Server connection in ArcCatalog without a specified user, the Feature Service as well as the Map Service appear.

I'm not sure why, but that did the trick!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor
Andrew-
Typically when you can see the service in your rest but not in your catalog server connection that means an arcgisserver account configuration issue.  If the account is local to your dev box, you likely can't see the service in desktop.
David
0 Kudos
AndrewBrown1
Hi David,

Thanks for getting back to me. Currently, the AGS is configured to utilize Windows Active Directory, so we log in to AGS Manager with our normal windows credentials. Since reading your message, I created a connection and published a new feature service via the AGS primary site admin account. Unfortunately, I still cannot see the service from either my windows user, nor the AGS primary site admin account.

Any ideas?

Andrew
0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor
No sorry, I ran into this same exact issue long ago and that's what it was.  We use an AD service account as well for the arcgisserver account.  I made sure in Computer Management on my machine that the account is in the Users group, that the account has full share priv's on all the server directories, inlcuding the config and data stores.  I always make sure that my sde connections or file gdbs are registered with sserver, and that I always publish my services using the conneciton from my data store.  That did it for us-
0 Kudos
AndrewBrown1
I was able to figure it out.

It turns out that the Feature Service isn't visible if your GIS Server connection is created with an admin account. If I create the GIS Server connection in ArcCatalog without a specified user, the Feature Service as well as the Map Service appear.

I'm not sure why, but that did the trick!
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor
True, but how you connect depends on your security.  If you don't supply a user name and password, and if that user is not part of the PUBLISHER or ADMINISTER roles in server, then you won't be able to manage or pupblish services from your desktop.   We use gis tier and token security as our AD policies are too restrictive to effectively manager services.  As such, I add users, passwords andd and assign them to roles via scripting.  But, we still use an AD account for our arcgisserver account as we have a distributed cluster environement, with single-sign on or federation not an issue for us.
David
0 Kudos