Error while migrating directories to shared folders NFS

2 weeks ago
RiccardoPlaia
New Contributor II

Hi everyone,

in recent days I faced an unpleasant problem.
I had to separate the Server part from a windows machine with ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Portal installed.
I tried to follow the documentation step by step, but I don't understand what could be the problem.
The machine has Windows 2016 Server and Enterprise 10.8.1.
The folder migration procedure perpetually goes into error with the following message:

RiccardoPlaia_1-1623334699325.png

But there are no operations in progress.

After several attempts, I somehow managed to get 3 out of 4 folders migrated, but after migration it always failed.

RiccardoPlaia_0-1623334417624.png

Can you help me?

Tnx Riccardo

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Contributor

Have you stopped all services and tried to migrate the folder again?

0 Kudos
RiccardoPlaia
New Contributor II

Yes, and the error message does not change

0 Kudos
ScottTansley2
New Contributor III

Hi.  I see you're using N drive.  Can I ask if that is a mapped drive to a folder share elsewhere (I'm assuming it is).

Mapped drives (like N) are created for your profile.  As an admin on the machine you can see the N: and create connections to it etc.  However, ArcGIS Server is 'not you' and runs under its own profile, there are one of two options:

1)  it runs as a local account, which cannot see remote folder shares,

2)  or it runs as an AD account.  So two things, on that. 

•  Does the AD account know what an N drive is?  Login to the machine as the service account (you'll need to set permissions to do that).  You may need to map the N drive for that system account. 
  • Also does the folder share have read/write permissions for the AD account???  

If the arcgis server account read/write from the folder then you should be good.  My best guess at this point is that the profile under which ArcGIS Server is running, has no idea where N drive is, or it doesn't have the permissions to use it?

0 Kudos
RiccardoPlaia
New Contributor II

Corrected the N disk is the mapped network disk, I also tried with the entire network path.
I hypothesized the same kind of problem and I connected with the user that manages the ArcGIS Server service, I tried to delete, create, modify folders and files, but in RDP I don't have any problem, through Server Manager I don't succeed in any way.
The machine is in google cloud with windows server 2016 and NFS network disk.

0 Kudos
ScottTansley2
New Contributor III

good sleuthing.  I have not touched Google Cloud, so I'm disadvantaged.  I'm also not sure about LINUX/NFS storage and how to authenticate to it.  Sorry, my experience is more AWS/Azure and pure Windows/SMB storage.  I wish you well and sorry to step away.

0 Kudos
ChristopherPawlyszyn
Esri Contributor

That error message is usually due to an *.rlock or *.wlock imposed on the config-store and those files can become orphaned in certain scenarios. Through a support case an analyst should be able to work with you through safely removing the lock files after confirming the account permissions are correct on the share.

0 Kudos
MinbinJiang
Esri Contributor

The cause should as @ChristopherPawlyszyn outlined. When encountering this, one approach I normally adopt is to restart the ArcGIS for Server service process to reset the status of the ArcGIS Server. Most of the time worked for me. 

0 Kudos
RiccardoPlaia
New Contributor II

I try many times to restart the service/machine, but without success.

To config-store folder now I have this error:

Configuration store error.
File system '\\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX\folder\arcgisserver2\config-store\machines\VMGIS-SERVER.json' put failed.
Another administrative operation is currently accessing the store. Please try again later.

0 Kudos