error: could not find or load main class com.esri.arcgis.webgis.client.webGISDR

08-19-2020 08:14 AM
AmyBrassieur
New Contributor III

Trying to figure out how to back up with webgisdr.properties, got this error.  Have no clue what it means. I'm a desktop person, not a server person but I am the only server person there is in our organization. 

Any help would be appreciated, I feel very stupid.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you post the full console output when running the tool? You can scrub any identifying information like machine names if you need to.

0 Kudos
AmyBrassieur
New Contributor III

That's it. It stops before it gets started. I'm using the command syntax from this page: Create an ArcGIS Enterprise backup—Portal for ArcGIS (10.6) | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

screen grab of command and error

I must be doing something very dumb.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

It seems like you moved the webgisdr.bat file into the root C:\ drive? The .bat file relies on libraries within the lib folder in the webgisdr folder (C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\tools\webgisdr). Can you try to run the DR tool from the C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\tools\webgisdr directory instead? You can still pass in the properties file from a separate directory.

AmyBrassieur
New Contributor III

Bingo! I knew I was doing something dumb. Now, I got past that, but I'm still doing something dumb. It says it can't access the file D:\TempPath\WebGISSite<xxxxxxxx>\server\<xxxxx>\<datetime>.agssite.

I guess it has to be a permissions issue but I can't figure out what I'm missing. screen grab of command and error

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Are the components on separate machines? For example, Portal on one machine, Server on another? If so, you need to use a UNC path for the SHARED_LOCATION. The BACKUP_LOCATION can be on the local machine if you have enough space, or a UNC path.

AmyBrassieur
New Contributor III

OK, I started out with UNC path for the SHARED_LOCATION but got the following error: Cannot access the location \ipggis2k10data. It seemed to lose the " \\ " before the hostname and the " \ " between the hostname and the share.  That's when I switched to a map drive location for the SHARED_LOCATION. Yes, Portal is on one machine, Server on another.

shared location in webgisdr.propertiesscreen grab of command and error

0 Kudos
AmyBrassieur
New Contributor III

Ok, I played around with the SHARED_LOCATION backslashes - ended up putting four ahead of the hostname and two between the hostname and the share, and it worked. \\\\hostname\\share instead of the usual \\hostname\share

JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Right, all back slashes have to be escaped. So \\ will turn into \\\\.

AmyBrassieur
New Contributor III

“Back slashes have to be escaped”....  Something that server people? Or developers? take for granted that lowly desktop users never hear about. A rule that’s been around forever, I imagine. I’ve been using personal computers since 1983, DOS 2.11 and if I ever heard about that, I forgot it. 

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, and explaining about the backslashes.  I would have stayed stuck if you hadn’t dug me out of my hole. You have made me a success at webgisdr! 

0 Kudos