ERROR: �??Base definition table string �??boundary�?� is invalid�?� + �??packaging failed�?� +...

02-16-2013 09:53 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
ERROR: �??Base definition table string �??boundary�?� is invalid�?� + �??packaging failed�?� + �??the data item is inaccessible�?� + �?�.,

This is one of the most complicated error that I couldn�??t figure out how it might be solved.

This error is generated when trying to publish a particular mxd file from the CLIENT MACHINE (in which the ArcGIS server is NOT installed)!

I copied the folder containing my data and mxd to the D:\ partition of the SERVER MACHINE and tried to publish it (from the SERVER MACHINE) and found out that it is published without any problem. Then the issue is not related to the feature class itself but to the publishing from the CLIENT MACHINE. Are we supposed then to publish from the server machine itself?!

I did all the valuable suggestions I received from the professional guys on the forum but sounds not to work. Amongst:

1. The folder containing the data is SHARED with everyone
2. Everyone has granted a FULL SECURITY CONTROL on the folder containing the data
3. The folder containing the data is REGISTERED in the �??DATA STORE�?�
4. A user called �??ArcGIS Server Account�?� user is created on the CLIENT MACHINE and is shared and granted full security control on the folder containing the data

Facts:

�?� The network map of my machines is as shown in the screenshot below (where p1 is the client machine and p2 is the server machine)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21870[/ATTACH]

�?� The users of the client  machine are shown in the screenshot below

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21871[/ATTACH]

�?� �??Everyone�?� and �??ArcGIS Server Account�?� users are shared to the folder containing the data, are granted full security control and registered in the �??data store�?�.

NEVERTHELESS, I�??m still getting the errors below!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21872[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]21873[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]21874[/ATTACH]

What might be the issue then? What I need to consider to overcome this very frustrating problem?

Thank you very much,

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
6 Replies
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
"...Another way to make your data available to all GIS server machines is to use the operating system tools to share the directory in which the data is stored. Shared directories are commonly referred to with Universal Naming Convention (UNC) paths, which contain the name of the server (for example, \\myServer\data). When you use UNC paths to reference your data, all GIS server machines will look to the correct machine for the data.

If you store your GIS resources in shared directories, remember that all data source paths within the resource must also use UNC paths or relative paths. For example, if your map document contains layers from three feature classes, the paths to those feature classes must be UNC or relative paths.

Remember:
Although shared network folders are convenient for referencing data, they require network traffic and can introduce performance bottlenecks that would not otherwise exist when accessing the data through local paths..."

"...You should be aware of your operating system's security mechanisms and hierarchies. For example, if you are working from a shared directory in Windows, you will have to give the ArcGIS Server account share permissions for the folder, then you will have to switch to the Security tab of the folder properties and grant NTFS (file) permissions to the ArcGIS Server account for the folder. If you do not grant both types of permissions (share and file), you will not be able to access the resource, since the operating system gives precedence to the more restrictive of the two..."
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Jamal432@gmail.com

"...Another way to make your data available to all GIS server machines is to use the operating system tools to share the directory in which the data is stored. Shared directories are commonly referred to with Universal Naming Convention (UNC) paths, which contain the name of the server (for example, \\myServer\data). When you use UNC paths to reference your data, all GIS server machines will look to the correct machine for the data.

If you store your GIS resources in shared directories, remember that all data source paths within the resource must also use UNC paths or relative paths. For example, if your map document contains layers from three feature classes, the paths to those feature classes must be UNC or relative paths.

Remember:
Although shared network folders are convenient for referencing data, they require network traffic and can introduce performance bottlenecks that would not otherwise exist when accessing the data through local paths..."

"...You should be aware of your operating system's security mechanisms and hierarchies. For example, if you are working from a shared directory in Windows, you will have to give the ArcGIS Server account share permissions for the folder, then you will have to switch to the Security tab of the folder properties and grant NTFS (file) permissions to the ArcGIS Server account for the folder. If you do not grant both types of permissions (share and file), you will not be able to access the resource, since the operating system gives precedence to the more restrictive of the two..."

Thank you Dominic for the answer,

Sure, in my case, the data is stored in client machine and the user is trying to publish from this client machine where:
1. the folder containing the data is SHARED to the �??ArcGIS Server Account�?�
2. the �??ArcGIS Server Account�?� is granted full SECURITY on the folder containing the data
3. the folder contain the data is REGISTERED on the �??data store�?�

Nevertheless, I got the very frustrating messages like
1. �??packaging failed�?�
2. �??the data item is inaccessible�?�
3. �??Base definition table string is invalid�?�

How to
1. Store the data on the client machine
2. Publish from the client machine

Without having the abovementioned errors

Best

Jamal
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Jamal,

My thought is that many of these messages are not helpful and are simply symptoms of a mixture of ArcGIS Server bugs and user configuration errors.  10.1, which should have been called 11.0 from an ArcGIS Server perspective, was a massive architecture change and I think that we are going to have to work through all these issues.

I think that the best way to do that is to file incidents with ESRI support.  The forums are great for users helping other users but it seems clear that ESRI does not file bugs based on these discussions.  There are some exceptions to this, e.g. Chris Fox, but they are exceptions and not the norm.

I recently reported the problem that you can't take the parcel sample from the tutorial data and publish it from one of the Windows public folders without getting the "base table definition error":

#NIM089194  Parcel Fabric data publishing from C:\Users\Public\Documents folder will return error "Server instance is started with errors. The base table definition string is invalid".

In this case there is no permission problem.  I think that it is simply a bug in ArcGIS Server.  What is the bug?  I haven't a clue and I don't have the bandwidth to try to figure it out:(

In another case, I saw this error and it was a configuration bug.

ESRI support also informed me of the following:

#NIM082970 The error, "The base table definition string "MyLayer" is invalid" is vague. The error should indicate that permissions have not been granted to the geodatabase folder.

But we already know that this error is not always related to user permission problems because public folders are well.... public.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Jamal,

My thought is that many of these messages are not helpful and are simply symptoms of a mixture of ArcGIS Server bugs and user configuration errors.  10.1, which should have been called 11.0 from an ArcGIS Server perspective, was a massive architecture change and I think that we are going to have to work through all these issues.

I think that the best way to do that is to file incidents with ESRI support.  The forums are great for users helping other users but it seems clear that ESRI does not file bugs based on these discussions.  There are some exceptions to this, e.g. Chris Fox, but they are exceptions and not the norm.

I recently reported the problem that you can't take the parcel sample from the tutorial data and publish it from one of the Windows public folders without getting the "base table definition error":

#NIM089194  Parcel Fabric data publishing from C:\Users\Public\Documents folder will return error "Server instance is started with errors. The base table definition string is invalid".

In this case there is no permission problem.  I think that it is simply a bug in ArcGIS Server.  What is the bug?  I haven't a clue and I don't have the bandwidth to try to figure it out:(

In another case, I saw this error and it was a configuration bug.

ESRI support also informed me of the following:

#NIM082970 The error, "The base table definition string "MyLayer" is invalid" is vague. The error should indicate that permissions have not been granted to the geodatabase folder.

But we already know that this error is not always related to user permission problems because public folders are well.... public.

Many thanks Richard for following up my frequent issues related to publishing with ArcGIS Server.

You are right. In many cases the error messages don�??t say actually what should the user fix in order to get rid of that error.

Sure, we all need to have our threads �??monitored�?� and �??intervened�?� by ESRI team such that we are guided to the best approach to solve our issues.

Best

Jamal
0 Kudos
jp
by
New Contributor II
Jamal,

If were not able to fix this issue this is what I figured -
I had this same error publishing the map service to AGS 10.1 and a warning was also given after analyzing the map document (which we tend to ignore) -

"Layer is being published with custom class extension. "

If you experienced similar warning make sure the necessary class extensions applied on the feature classes are installed on your machine.
Once I installed these the map document was published successfully.

Error I got - The base table definition string  "Conductor" is invalid.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Jamal,

If were not able to fix this issue this is what I figured -
I had this same error publishing the map service to AGS 10.1 and a warning was also given after analyzing the map document (which we tend to ignore) -

"Layer is being published with custom class extension. "

If you experienced similar warning make sure the necessary class extensions applied on the feature classes are installed on your machine.
Once I installed these the map document was published successfully.

Error I got - The base table definition string  "Conductor" is invalid.

Thanks!

Many thank Jhansi for the contribution

Best

Jamal
0 Kudos