Enterprise Workgroup & AGOL

07-10-2019 07:35 AM
MalcolmMeyer2
Occasional Contributor II

I am looking into the various options for deploying ArcGIS Enterprise in a small municipality.

Can someone confirm if it is possible to publish a feature service from a workgroup geodatabase registered with ArcGIS Enterprise Workgroup to AGOL or Portal with editing capabilities?

Can this data then be used in Collector, either via Portal or AGOL?

If both are true, do the connections coming from Portal/AGOL/Collector count towards the 10 simultaneous connections available to the workgroup geodatabase?

Finally, is it possible to create a view in Portal or AGOL based on this feature service, which would allow the bypass of the concurrent connections for viewers only?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ThomasJones1
Esri Contributor

Hello Malcolm 

You can publish from a workgroup geodatabase to ArcGIS Online but the data would be published as a hosted feature service. This would mean a copy of your data would be hosted in ArcGIS Online. Any edits made to the feature service would only be applied to hosted data in ArcGIS Online.

Is your aim to push edits back to your workgroup geodatabase? What RDBMS system are using with your workgroup geodatabase (e.g SQL, Postgre, Oracle etc.)?

If you want to push edits back to your workgroup geodatabase you would have to registered it as a data source with ArcGIS Server. You could then publish a registered feature service to Portal. Any edits made to the feature service would be applied to the workgroup geodatabase.

I've provided a link to data requirements for Collector and publishing a feature service with a workgroup geodatabase below:

Collector for ArcGIS - What are the requirements?

ArcGIS Server - Prepare data to publish a feature service

The limit for 10 simultaneous connections may be your biggest hurdle. For example a registered feature service with a minimum instance of 1 would require an active connection to the database. So you might hit this limit pretty quickly.

To my knowledge views are restricted to a hosted feature services, both in Portal and ArcGIS Online. Again the data would be hosted in ArcGIS Online or Portal. I don't believe it's possible to create a view from a registered feature service.

I've provided links regarding creating a hosted feature service views in Portal and ArcGIS Online below:

ArcGIS Online - Create hosted feature layer views

Portal for ArcGIS - Create hosted feature layer views

Hope this helps if you have any additional questions please let me know!

Thanks,

Thomas.

0 Kudos
MalcolmMeyer2
Occasional Contributor II

Is your aim to push edits back to your workgroup geodatabase? What RDBMS system are using with your workgroup geodatabase (e.g SQL, Postgre, Oracle etc.)? - Yes, I want to register the Workgroup Geodatabase with Server and use this in Collector directly, which is what I think you are saying is possible.

If you want to push edits back to your workgroup geodatabase you would have to registered it as a data source with ArcGIS Server. You could then publish a registered feature service to Portal. Any edits made to the feature service would be applied to the workgroup geodatabase.

I've provided a link to data requirements for Collector and publishing a feature service with a workgroup geodatabase below: I have looked at these and they did not fully answer my question which is why I am asking here, though I think now I understand...

Collector for ArcGIS - What are the requirements?

ArcGIS Server - Prepare data to publish a feature service

The limit for 10 simultaneous connections may be your biggest hurdle. For example a registered feature service with a minimum instance of 1 would require an active connection to the database. So you might hit this limit pretty quickly. Maybe, I have a small field crew, but again this is why I want to use views, but alas...

To my knowledge views are restricted to a hosted feature services, both in Portal and ArcGIS Online. Again the data would be hosted in ArcGIS Online or Portal. I don't believe it's possible to create a view from a registered feature service. - So if I want to have a non-editable version of my data I have to create another version/copy?

So here is my complex setup for what I want to do considering the above, anyone let me know if I'm way off here:

If I want to be able to edit the same data in Collector and on the Desktop, while at the same time have a read-only version of the same data on a web map (with auto updates), I could use PostgreSQL/PostGIS as my backend database, serve my views with Koop or some other server that talks directly to Postgres, and use ArcGIS Enterprise Standard for the Collector/Desktop integration.

0 Kudos