Enterprise 10.5.1 Upgrade to 10.6.1 Server won't start

Jump to solution
12-13-2018 05:31 AM
roemhildtg
Occasional Contributor III

Hi all,

Hoping someone has some suggestions to try troubleshooting a 10.6.1 upgrade from 10.5.1. 

The set up is this:

1. Portal was federated to server, both at 10.5.1

2. Updated Portal to 10.6.1

3. Updated Portal Web adaptor to 10.6.1

4. Updated Server to 10.6.1

5. Server service starts, but immediately stops working. Service goes from "Started" phase to empty in a couple of seconds. 

6. Reverted Server back to 10.5.1 from a snapshot, and tried again with the exact same result.

- Server is on Machine 1

- Portal is on  Machine 2

- Web adaptor for Portal is on Machine 3

- Web adaptor for Server is on Machine 4

Anyone have any tips for troubleshooting this? Some log files that might help point to a solution somewhere? Some burried config file that needs to be updated?

Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

"Server service starts, but immediately stops working. Service goes from "Started" phase to empty in a couple of seconds"

This sounds like a permissions issue with the runas account (the .\arcgis account that owns the ArcGIS Server processes). I'd update the password for this account and then run ArcGIS Server's 'Change ArcGIS Server Account' tool (right-click, run as admin). That should update the required permissions.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

"Server service starts, but immediately stops working. Service goes from "Started" phase to empty in a couple of seconds"

This sounds like a permissions issue with the runas account (the .\arcgis account that owns the ArcGIS Server processes). I'd update the password for this account and then run ArcGIS Server's 'Change ArcGIS Server Account' tool (right-click, run as admin). That should update the required permissions.

roemhildtg

Okay, we got that taken care of. The issue was the ArcGIS Server admin tool wouldn't let us supply the correct username to run the service as. Manually changing it in the service properties Run As dialog got it working.

RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Awesome. 

My guess (and take that with a grain of salt) is that the password for this account expired. A Windows service will continue to run if a password has expired until the service is restarted - which an upgrade will do. Hard to be certain without more details, but in the end I suppose it doesn't really matter if you were successful in the end. 

Happy to hear you're up and going!

0 Kudos
roemhildtg

Up and going of sorts... we still have some issue with publishing hosted services. It fails with an error report generated. It might be a configuration issue though...not really sure at this point.

We have the following setup:

DMZ                                             Internal Network

external.domain.com/portal  -----> Webadaptor 1 (internalwa1.domain.com/portal) ---> Portal (portal.domain.com)

external.domain.com/wa2  -------->Web adaptor 2 (internalwa2.domain.com/server) --> Server (server.domain.com)

0 Kudos
roemhildtg

This is what happens when I try creating a feature layer:

There is a crash log report generated and no service.

0 Kudos