Editing versioned feature classes through a feature service

Jump to solution
05-28-2015 09:11 AM
JohnFannon
Occasional Contributor III

Hi

A customer of ours wishes to edit (update) a single attribute field in their SDE geodatabase (v10.2.1) via a feature service. However, the feature classes involved are versioned and the SDE default version is protected.

Can someone in the know let me know what the best practice is for editing versioned feature classes via a feature service? I can find only minimal documentation on this.

I assume that we would have to publish the feature classes from an ArcMap document that uses a connection to a specific named version created from SDE.Default. Then enable editing on the feature service?

But how do the edits in that named version get posted back to the default version in this scenario?

Any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.

Regards

John

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi John-

What we do is set up a QA version below our DBO.Default, then create child versions off of the QA version named something like DBO.WebEdits.  Using an editor role previously defined in our sql sever 2012 database, we then add the domained arcgisserver account to the editor role. 

On the back end then, all the edits made through the feature service are actually made by the arcgissever account.  We handle editor tracking by enabling ownership-based control on the feature service, so that on the front end the edits to the feature service are made by users from our ArcServer user store assigned to a user role that has write access to the feature service.

We then run a nightly python script to push edits from our WebEdits version to QA and then push QA edits up to DEFAULT on a weekly basis.

David

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JoeJung
New Contributor III

John,

You are correct on how you would publish the data to the ArcGIS Server.  As far as posting edits back to default, you could go about it one of two ways:  1. Review the edits in ArcMap and rec and post manually.  2. Create a python script and do it in a batch job, or even publish it as a GP tool on the server.

For best practices, I would start here: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/What_is_a_feature_service/0154000002w80000...

Good luck!

Joe

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi John-

What we do is set up a QA version below our DBO.Default, then create child versions off of the QA version named something like DBO.WebEdits.  Using an editor role previously defined in our sql sever 2012 database, we then add the domained arcgisserver account to the editor role. 

On the back end then, all the edits made through the feature service are actually made by the arcgissever account.  We handle editor tracking by enabling ownership-based control on the feature service, so that on the front end the edits to the feature service are made by users from our ArcServer user store assigned to a user role that has write access to the feature service.

We then run a nightly python script to push edits from our WebEdits version to QA and then push QA edits up to DEFAULT on a weekly basis.

David

JohnFannon
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Joe and David for your helpful input, it looks like you've confirmed what I was thinking.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

glad to help

0 Kudos