Editing secured services and related tables

12-03-2018 06:08 AM
MuglaCbs1
New Contributor II

I am using Arcgis server and portal 10.6 in my company.

Also we make web applications with web appbuilder developer editon.

we are using to secure our services with windows domain users with non federated server-portal, and works fine with web appbuilder aplications, so i want to ask that;

i have a feature layer and two related tables.

A Point Feature Layer,

B related Table with A point feature layer

C related table with B Table

our aim is one user from active directory can edit A layer and B table with wab edit or smart edit widget

Other user can edit only C table by seeing A layer and B table wab edit or smart edit widget in same application

How can i do this proccess with my web application

Thanks.

Arcgis server and Portal 10.6

Web Appbuilder Dev. Ed.2.10

Windows Server 2016

MS SQL 2016

0 Kudos
3 Replies
StevenRamirez
Esri Contributor

Hi Mugla, thank you for posting this question to the GeoNet forum.  I understand that ultimately you need to have a feature layer with one related table, and layer related table has a relationship to another table. To be editable via the Web App Builder Smart Edit widget.  A few points of concern with this workflow. Firstly the relationships between the tables and the feature layers. It may be easier to relate both tables to the feature layer directly so instead your relationship would look like A Point Feature layer to B Table and C Table respectively.  Another point of concern to be aware of is that while you are able to configure editing and viewing capabilities using the smart widget. Because presumably you are publishing a single feature service, you may not gain the full control you are hoping to. Another suggestion may be to publish two feature services to control the access you wish.  Additionally, another method that would achieve editing access is through the use of hosted feature layer views. Views would allow you to setup and control which group can edit what dataset in the hosted feature layer. I hope this points you in the right direction. 

MuglaCbs1
New Contributor II

Thank you for the reply Steven Ramirez‌;

As i mentioned we are using an active directory server for ArcGIS Server identity store as non federated server with portal.

After publishing a service with a feature layer and related two tables, can i do something like: "Integrating ArcGIS Server security with an Oracle database" for our SQL server?

If i can do that for SQL server, i can create database users for each table and feature layer in SQL same as active directoy, so when an user tries to log in web application, enters active directory user credentials with the esri sign in dialog and system checks that credentials from SQL database.

With that, i can give permission a user to edit "A" feature layer" and related "B table" and give permission to another user to edit only "C table" by only querying "A" feature layer" and "B table".

is it works with SQL Server?

Any ideas..Thanks.

Integrating ArcGIS Server security with an Oracle database—ArcGIS Server Administration (Windows) | ... 

0 Kudos
StevenRamirez
Esri Contributor

Hi Mugla, 

In regards to using Oracle Database Security, while this is a supported identity store for our Enterprise Software. I'm not certain that it will provide the security in the manner you describe. Portal for ArcGIS only has the ability to use one identity store currently, therefore. If you use Oracle database users, all your users in Portal will have to exist there. To extend this further from the follow up, extending it to SQL Server would not be supported by ESRI. This would be due to the identity store being set to Oracle while some data being edited exists in SQL Server, two separate DBMS environments.  I believe honestly, the best path to achieve the workflow you list is through either two feature services so that they can be added to the Smart Editor widget in WAB. Or through Portal 10.6.1 hosted feature layer views. For more information on hosted feature layer views please see our blog here: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/uncategorized/getting-started-with-hosted-fe... .