Editing Feature Services from Federated Server in ArcMap

Jump to solution
02-11-2021 10:37 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Our organization recently deployed Portal in our beta environment. Our users used to be able to edit feature services in ArcMap 10.6.1 by doing the following: 

- Make a server connection to our server using their server credentials,

- Add a feature service from the server to their maps

- Right-click layer > click Edit Features > click Create Local Copy for Editing

- Make edits

- Right-click layer > click Edit Features > click Synchronize Local Edits with Server

We have federated our beta server with Portal, and I am now unable to do any editing in ArcMap on the feature services. I have created an account to test this, added the account to an editing group in Portal and added the feature service item to the same editing group in Portal (as well as the map service). I am able to edit the service via ArcGIS Pro, the Map Viewer in Portal, and I even made an item in ArcGIS Online from the REST endpoint and I'm able to edit that, too. 

I have also tried connecting to the Portal in ArcMap - I'm able to add the item, but I still can't edit it. 

Has anyone dealt with migrating a similar workflow? Is it just not possible to edit feature services in ArcMap once a server is federated with Portal? 

Edit: I am using Enterprise 10.7.1 (Portal and Server), ArcMap 10.6.1, and ArcGIS Pro 2.7. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

looking at the doc it has an odd requirement about "To create the local copy, ensure the table of contents is in List By Drawing Order mode,"

do you see any errors in the ArcGIS Server logs when you try to begin editing?

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.7/manage-data/editing-fundamentals/about-editing-data-from-f...

View solution in original post

8 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

How is your versioning setup?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
We currently don't use versioned databases. That's why we liked the "create local copy for editing" followed by "synchronize edits" option. We have SDE installed on an Oracle database.
0 Kudos
TaupoDistrict_Council
Occasional Contributor

Within your feature layer settings on Portal you might want to check that Enable Editing has been ticked.

TaupoDistrict_Council_1-1613077270810.png

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I appreciate the suggestion, but it isn't a hosted feature layer. The data I'm trying to edit has been published on our ArcGIS Server site, so the Portal item is just a wrapper around a REST endpoint from the server. I'm just confused that now I'm unable to access/edit that REST endpoint the same way I used to in ArcMap. 

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Does the windows service account running enterprise granted read/write on the feature class in the geodatabase?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I believe so, as I am still able to edit the data through ArcGIS Online, Portal, and ArcGIS Pro. 

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

looking at the doc it has an odd requirement about "To create the local copy, ensure the table of contents is in List By Drawing Order mode,"

do you see any errors in the ArcGIS Server logs when you try to begin editing?

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.7/manage-data/editing-fundamentals/about-editing-data-from-f...

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have seen that documentation but didn't catch that at all! Listing by drawing order allowed me to create a local copy for editing. Thanks, @BillFox!