Editable web map solutions

02-01-2021 04:06 PM
KellyKnapp35
New Contributor III

I am researching the best workflow to achieve the following in an Enterprise 10.7 environment:

• Create a simple web map with point data where multiple users can edit the attribute table simultaneously.
  • Users will be working on specific defined areas to avoid working on the same record of the table concurrently.
  • I want to use a web map so users do not have to use ArcMap or ArcPro.

I’ve looked at a lot of articles.  This one seems to be the direction I am leaning...

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/map/publish-map-services/tutorial-perform-web-editing-us...

My Workflow

• Author a map in ArcPro with an enterprise gdb feature class. (Enterprise 10.7)
  • Publish with feature access enabled.
  • Users view and edit feature service from ArcGIS Server Services Directory with the Map Viewer.

Questions:

• Does this seem like the most straight forward workflow?
  • Is edited data immediately available for use to another user?
  • Is versioning only available when editing in ArcPro or ArcMap?  Seems more complex, but pros or cons?
  • Other recommended editable web map workflows?

I appreciate any suggestions as web mapping and Enterprise Portals are new territory for me.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TaupoDistrict_Council
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kelly

I have a few maps that include editing done by multiple people.  One example that might be of interest to you is a map for our park mowers where each mower has their own set of areas given to them, they then edit the record with the completion time/date after they have mown.  This can result in multiple people editing at the same time.  I have the information within all within the same feature class, but I have a field for the staff member assigned (alternatively it could be a field for your defined areas).  To make it easier for them I have copied the layer for each of the staff and then set up a filter on each of the layers to show only the relevant ones for that staff member (for you this could be the relevant area).  By default I have these all turned off so that they have to purposefully select their area.  If you were looking at the spatial side as well you could include specific bookmarks to help quickly navigate to the right area.

I haven't come across any problems with multiple editors and I find that the editor tracking and archiving within AGOL has covered most of our needs.

TaupoDistrict_Council_0-1612232903879.png

TaupoDistrict_Council_1-1612233904261.png

0 Kudos
KellyKnapp35
New Contributor III

Thanks for your reply!  Copying the layer for each user was a great idea.  It got the juices flowing.

I discovered the hosted feature layer VIEWS which allows you to set up customized views of the hosted feature layer.  Similar to your layers.  I can setup up a definition query on the data for each user and the changes are instantaneous on the hosted feature layer.  I still need to do some more testing, but I'm on my way! 🙂

TaupoDistrict_Council
Occasional Contributor

Great idea using the feature layer views.

If I was to use the layers within multiple maps then I would definitely go the way of using views.

0 Kudos
KellyKnapp35
New Contributor III

I only have one feature layer, but it has over 40,000 points.  There will be five users.  Do you think your way of copying layers would be better?

0 Kudos