Edit Settings is disabled when accessing Portal using the web adaptor

02-06-2017 04:07 PM
SirisengArounsack
New Contributor II

I am trying to federate my ArcGIS Server with Portal but when I log in as administrator using the web adaptor, the Edit Settings link is disabled in the "My Organization" page. If I do not access the page using the web adaptor, the link is enabled. I click on Servers->Add Server and it complains that "Federation of servers is disabled when accessing the portal without using the web adaptor".  Can someone please shed some light on what it is I'm doing wrong. Initially I thought maybe it had to do with not using signed certificates from a certificate authority so I requested a signed certificate and installed it on my web adaptor, portal and server but the issues remains. Has anyone ever experienced this? Thanks.

13 Replies
MasaakiABE
Esri Contributor

I was recently setting up Portal with Web Adaptor on Tomcat, and had the same issue. Looks like it's a bug.

BUG-000101562

Synopsis

Unable to access Portal for ArcGIS’s “Edit Settings” menu from the /home endpoint when using ArcGIS Web Adaptor (Java Platform) with Apache Tomcat 7.0.73+ or 8.0.39+ .

See the workaround at the bottom of the page. I used the local porta(7443) to get it work.

SirisengArounsack
New Contributor II

I did access it via port 7443 but as I mentioned above it will not allow me to add as a server as "Federation of servers is disabled when accessing the portal without using the web adaptor". My workaround was to federate it via portaladmin.

0 Kudos
DavidPerrin
New Contributor

Hi all,

I too have this problem where the Edit Settings is disabled in portal going through the web adaptor.

I bypassed the web adaptor and logged into the portal directly via port 7443.  That indeed shows the Edit Settings now.  And I went ahead and un-federated my arcgis server there from portal.  Only to discover that I can't add the server back! It says, "federating is disabled when not going through web adaptor". 

So now I can't add (federate) my arcgis server back to portal because the Edit Settings is disabled when going through the web adaptor! 

What to do?

0 Kudos
SirisengArounsack
New Contributor II

Go to your portaladmin page (https://<yourserver>:7443/arcgis/portaladmin), log in and click Federation->Servers->Federate. This will allow you to federate using the REST API.

DavidPerrin
New Contributor

Hi Siriseng,

Firstly, thank you for replying!

Secondly, unfortunately there is no Federation choice at 7443/arcigs/portaladmin

Only choices are:

Site Root - /

Version: 10.3.1

Resources: System Security Logs

Supported Interfaces: REST

And no Federation choices under any of those link either ☹

Best,

David

0 Kudos
SirisengArounsack
New Contributor II

Make sure you log in as a portal member with administrative privileges.

0 Kudos
DavidPerrin
New Contributor

Thanks Siriseng for once again replying J

Unfortunately I think the federation link in portaladmin was only exposed in 10.4

Logged in as admin in 10.3 I don’t see it.

We’ve had a fairly catastrophic failure, and despite my best efforts, can’t seem to overcome the multiple problems.

We are fortunate enough that our portal held little content and we are just going to republish to an upgraded 10.5 portal. ( I successfully upgraded 10.3 to 10.5, but the disabled Edit Settings still exists)

So, I will be attempting a new federation of the arcgis sever via portal admin (I do see the link for federation in 10.5 portaladmin) soon.

Best,

David

0 Kudos
Javier_AntonioEscudero
Esri Contributor

Thanks, I have done that you have indicated, going to portaladmin rest API and using Federate Server option. The problem has been resolved.

Regards

0 Kudos
DianaVettori
New Contributor

Hello,

I have a different problem but same context :

For a single machine deployment scenario :

I have two  web adapters installed in the same machine.  One  for ArcGIS server (configured on port 443) and one for portal (configured on port 80). 

1) when i access portal with  "https://machinefullname:7443/arcgis/home/signup.html   and login

i can see all the menus including "ORGANIZATION" menu at top.

2) But when i access portal with web adaptor  " https:// webadaptor/portal/home/signup.html  and login with same admin user.

i can't see the "ORGANIZATION" menu at top.

Thanks in advance 

Diana

0 Kudos