Drawing geoprocessing results with a map service

11-20-2014 12:26 PM
JoshObrecht
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to draw the results of a geoprocessing service with a given symbology. After I run the tool, I set the result layer to the given symbology. After sharing as a Geoprocessing Service, the result after the service is run does not contain the symbology. Am I missing a step somewhere?

14 Replies
JoshObrecht
Occasional Contributor

bump

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Did you define the symbology in your tool parameter settings or did you change the symbology manually after the run?

0 Kudos
JoshObrecht
Occasional Contributor

Manually after the run.

0 Kudos
ArokiyaJoseph
New Contributor III

Hmm..What is the output of your geoprocessing tool and what type of symbology is it?

JoshObrecht
Occasional Contributor

Feature layer with unique values

0 Kudos
ArokiyaJoseph
New Contributor III

Are you running the published geoprocessing task in ArcGIS Desktop or consuming it in web applications?

If it is in web applications, the symbology has to be defined by the client. If it is Desktop, yes it should draw the output with unique values symbology.

0 Kudos
JoshObrecht
Occasional Contributor

I would like to do it within a web application. Will this need to be done with the Javascript API?

0 Kudos
ArokiyaJoseph
New Contributor III

Yes. The symbology has to be defined through the Web API (eg. JavaScript API) when consumed in web applications. The other alternative for using the same symbology as in geoprocessing result is to use Result Map Service. But, creating a result map service adds a bit of overhead and used only for complex symbology and labels. For a simple symbology such as unique value renderer, it's better to set the symbology through the Web API.

JoshObrecht
Occasional Contributor

Interesting. I am using a result map service.

0 Kudos