Does ArcMap support user mappings when connectionto PostgreSQL database?

01-09-2019 09:08 AM
WWalker
New Contributor III

I've set up a PostgreSQL server to house production geodatabases, where 50+ analysts will edit data on various databases.  I've set up a 'sde' login, a 'data_owner' login, and an 'editor' group.  It is desirable to track user edits on some of our databases.  I would like to use our acitve directory credentials to allow users to login without requiring a separate login.  Unfortunately, our domain uses a format firstname.lastname for users, and this is not wrapped in double quotes when ArcMap communicates with the pg server.  So when a john.doe tries to select more than 100 features, or any other act that will need to make use of the log file tables, an error occurs.  Using our current active directory names will not work.

After reading some PG documentation, I realized I might be able to map our illegal OS user names to legal PG user names.  (e.g. john.doe authenticates as john_doe).  After initial tests, I have been unable to get this to work either.  I don't know if this is due to, again, unseen communications between ArcMap and PG.  Is something like this even possible in the ESRI ecosystem, or am I just trying to fit a round peg in a square hole?  Short of creating a pg user for every os user, what, if any, options do I have for using our active directory?

0 Kudos
0 Replies