Display an image in mosaic ImageService using geoprocessing

05-04-2015 10:32 AM
JoanneMcGraw
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

Given a mosaic dataset published as an ImageService to ArcGIS Server 10.1, how can I display a single image contained by it using a geoprocessing task? I've found some posts along these lines and am guessing, given what I've read so far, that this might not be possible but I thought I'd verify that before I gave up entirely.

Ultimately, I'm trying to do essentially the same as adding the ImageService to ArcMap's TOC and then adding a Definition Query to control the display. However, since I don't seem to be able to "assign" a Definition Query in arcpy, I am instead trying to make a layer and apply symbology from an existing lyr file to it.

I've figured out how to do all this when I have access to the GDB (using MakeMosaicLayer_management, MakeRasterLayer_management and ApplySymbologyFromLayer_management) but what if I only have access to the ImageService? There doesn't seem to be a way to apply a "where clause" as I can with MakeMosaicLayer_management. I've tried messing about with setting the Mosaic Method to "By Attribute" but got no where...I don't think it's meant to do what I was trying to do with it but can't say that I particularly understood this from what I read.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Regards,

jtm

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoanneMcGraw
Occasional Contributor III

Sorry, I just realized there might be confusion in something I wrote above.

I don't think applying symbology will replace the functionality of the where clause that I'm trying to do. It's the "making a layer" part that I'm having the problem with. The symbology will be applied from the existing lyr file with either approach (assuming using just the ImageService is possible).

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Joanne, I don't have an answer since I have similar questions and I'm just learning the ImageServer, but here are some resources that might help, if you haven't already seen them:

Image Management Workflows | ArcGIS Resource Center

Image Management

Esri Training | Sharing Cached Imagery in ArcGIS

Hope these help.

0 Kudos