Desktop 10.2/ Server 10.2 - Unable to publish any geoprocessing results as GP Service

10-28-2013 01:30 PM
TamiOnstad
New Contributor III
I've been having trouble for the past several days with the process of publishing geoprocessing results as a GP service. I started out with my own script, and when I could not get the GP results to publish I tried the Clip and Ship sample, and when publishing those results did not work I set up something ridiculously easy (model which counts from 1-100, no data involved whatsoever). I was unable to publish the GP results from any of the models.

Here's what happens: I can run the model, no matter which script I tried I was successful with getting GP results. I can go through the wizard for 'Share As Geoprocessing Service', and the Analyze tool finds no problems with anything. If I close the wizard before I get to the staging point, the sddraft file is created with no errors. When I either continue in the wizard with creating the service, or reopen the sddraft file and click STAGE, I get to the point where it says PACKAGING IN PROGRESS and then ArcCatalog or ArcMap crashes completely with no other message than 'ArcCatalog Application has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working completely. Please close the program.' No error message, no option to send error results to ESRI.

This happens both in ArcMap and ArcCatalog, and it happens with Background Geoprocessing off or on. It has happened both on a server machine and on my desktop with Windows 7. Both machines are Python 32-bit with no 64-bit Python installed.

The Server logs show nothing, as the service never gets far enough to actually be published to Server.

Any ideas about what might be happening? I'm not even sure where to LOOK at this point. I even tried pulling the staging out into a one-line Python script using arcpy.StageService_server, and it crashed Python with no error message.

Thanks

Tami
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
BrianDister
New Contributor
I realize this thread is not new, however I did not see a resolution. I have the identical problem. It was working in 10.1 but on switching to 10.2 it stops responding during Packaging of Process.
0 Kudos
BrianDister
New Contributor
I realize this thread is not new, however I did not see a resolution. I have the identical problem. It was working in 10.1 but on switching to 10.2 it stops responding during Packaging of Process.

Update: I found a solution to my problem, not sure it is generalizable. I created a new toolbox, and new model(s). Next I copy/pasted the model contents from an old model, and pasted into a corresponding new model. That was all. Then it published and all was working again.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Just throwing it out there for anyone to check, but is Background Geoprocessing enabled when you are not able to publish a geoprocessing service?

Have you been able to successfully create your own geoprocessing print service according to the instructions found at:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#/Publishing_additional_services_for_printin...
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
Background processing wouldn't have any impact on the publishing process. Background is a mechanism to run tools. The publishing process doesn't use it.

For anyone who crashes while publishing: if it also crashes when the Package Result tool, could you zip up your model/data and send it to me? khibma@esri.com
0 Kudos
DanielHaipola
New Contributor

Kevin,

Having the same problem with my ArcGIS Server 10.2.2. Can not publish any GP Services that I have created in model builder, if I publish the results from a toolbox (no model) works fine.

I can get the service to publish if I use the staging draft service (which does get created before the crash) and then use the server system tools to  >Stage Service > Upload Service.

Perplexing.

Danny

0 Kudos
DanielHaipola
New Contributor

I resolved this issue by uninstalling ArcFM Desktop. Publishing now works without the errors I was receiving.

KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you for the information Daniel.

That's the first time in this thread that has been brought up (ArcFM being installed).

Looking through our system, I found this logged as  NIM096880. We do not currently have a fix, but is something we're investigating.

0 Kudos
ChrisCarter1
New Contributor

I had the same exact problem, and thanks to Daniel's info I solved it by uninstalling the ArcFM Object Reader.

-Chris

0 Kudos
nemesis069
New Contributor III

I wonder if installing patch 593 for the ArcFM Object Reader will resolve this particular problem? ArcFM Solution 10.2.1 Patch #593

0 Kudos
BenjaminVanzino
New Contributor II

Thanks for this,

Really struggling to understand why this would start happening now (as it was working previously but recently added FME desktop 2015 which may include ArcFM Object Reader components.  Will check and confirm here.

Edit, we don't have anything to do with ArcFM Object Reader as far as I can see.

The server simply will not allow the GP python toolbox that runs perfectly fine on desktop to be published as a GP service (or even SD file).

Regards,

Ben

0 Kudos