Deleting the source data of a service doesn’t affect its visibility,

04-27-2017 09:55 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Deleting the source data of a service doesn’t affect its visibility,

Despite the fact that the source data of a service is deleted, nevertheless, the service continues to appear properly (screenshots below)

What might be the explanation for this?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
9 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you allow data to be copied to the ArcGIS Server server(s)?  If so, then you would need to delete the data from that location as that is where the service is getting it's data from not from the location in the mxd that you are publishing from.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

At all. The source folder is registered (data is not copied to ArcGIS Server folder)

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

One possibility, if it's cached, it would look at the cache files.

I tend to change my mxd's to almost an empty mxd once I have created a cache and I don't plan to update it again. (some of our services have older/archive data)

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Rebecca,

It appears that this is a matter of Cache. But how consuming the service is still possible by ArcMap? Who to clear the cache in this case?

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

There's map service cache and then local display cache in ArcMap, which is only relevant for cached map services.  I would check the service properties it it's cached, as Rebecca Strauch, GISP‌ mentioned and clear the ArcMap local display cache if need be following instructions at the end of the documentation page.

MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah
Occasional Contributor III

Dear Jonathan,

I tried your suggestion with no effects, and It appears that this is not related to local Cache. And I couldn’t figure out how consuming the service is still possible by ArcMap despite that I removed all the local cache, and the services is not cached? !!!!

Have you tried this at your local machine, Jonathan Quinn?

Thank you in advance

Best,

Majdoleen

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

So is the service drawing dynamically or cached at this point?

0 Kudos
MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah
Occasional Contributor III

It is not cached! I noticed that deleting data won't remove or disable an associated map service, but it will result in errors (check ArcGIS Server logs). Is this the normal behavior? how many days it will display the data?

Best,

Majdoleen

0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks JQuinn-esristaff

If your time permits, please, try it (deleting dynamic service) at your local machine and share with us your findings

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos