Dedicated ArcGIS Server for Printing

03-09-2017 09:42 AM
RavinHasseea1
New Contributor III

Hi I have built 3 ArcGIS Server sites (v10.3.1), and would like to publish all the map services on 2 of the servers.

I would like to set up the third ArcGIS Server machine only for printing. 

Currently we have only 1 machine in each site, and site A and site B are load balanced and have a Web Adaptor each.

Site C has not been configured yet.

Any suggestions what would be the most appropriate configuration to achieve the above and also provide scalability and best performance.

10 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

If the two sites are load balanced, maybe just consolidate them into a single virtual server with double the RAM/CPU?

Then with printing on-board too, see where performance is at before adding more pieces.

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Having multiple servers can be nice, but comes with added complexity and difficulties troubleshooting issues. 

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Maybe re-purpose the second server to Portal for ArcGIS

0 Kudos
RavinHasseea1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply. We would need to have resilience, hence the 2 load balanced servers. We currently have no requirement for Portal for ArcGIS. We are implementing a Geocortex Essentials application, and it is envisaged that users will be doing fair amount of printing.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

It sounds like you already have a handle on the configuration.  You can either use a siloed approach or a multi-machine site for the two machines within a single pool or cluster in your load balancer configuration which will give you scalability.  In the case of a siloed architecture, you have a bit more availability and redundancy as you don't have the single point of failure in the shared config-store at the cost of maintenance and keeping the machines synchronized.  The directories will be shared to maintain consistence behavior for the client, but if the shared directories goes down, that wouldn't necessarily cause your Server site to be completely inaccessible.  Your other machine, (which may potentially have more resources), can be configured to host printing or other GP services.  Use rules within the load balancer to send traffic to the appropriate site or machines.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I couldn’t figure out how to assign a particular service to a cluster?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah
Occasional Contributor III

In my case I only have the default Cluster!

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Many thanks Majdoleen for the help. It works fine

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine