Data item is inaccessible

Jump to solution
11-11-2012 12:38 AM
OlivierOlivier
New Contributor III
Hi,

I'm trying to add a new remote internet linux Oracle 11gR2 datastore to an arcgis 10.1 server and get the error "Data item is inaccessible".

Error is precisely the one described in http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/40409 (but linux is not quoted there)

Linux Admin told me that he did install x64 client, got a connection with sqlplus (see below) and he doesn't know what else could he check as he's not a GIS administrator.

machine is Linux-amd64-2.6.32-279.14.1.el6.x86_64

Error occurs using Windows/Arcatalog 10.1 or Arcgis manager. So it must be a connection problem between Arcgis and Oracle on the linux server but I don't see which one it could be. Rights ?

Arcatalog add database connection is ok
save usr/pwd is checked
I was able to create my enterprise geodatabase, add spatial type, copy a feature class to oracle.
add arcgis server is ok

I use sys connection when trying to add datastore from arcgis server. I just set "orcl" and database authentication with "sys/pwd", click ok, no message (which means user/pwd is ok), but it's when I select ok to close datastore register that I get the message.

I tried to add the same os account to oracle, grant all privileges to it, no change.

Thanks very much to any help as I found several threads about it but none with a working answer.

Olivier

SQLPLUS log screen :

[oracle@kj ~]$ sqlplus64 sys@ORCL as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Sat Nov 10 18:20:12 2012

Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Enter password:

Connected to:
Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options

SQL>
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffSmith
Esri Contributor
Have you made the adjustments in the init_user_param.sh file to enable the environment variables so ArcGIS Server can find the Oracle client?  Information on this can be found here.  Once this script has been adjusted, you will need to restart ArcGIS Server for the changes to take effect.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffSmith
Esri Contributor
Have you made the adjustments in the init_user_param.sh file to enable the environment variables so ArcGIS Server can find the Oracle client?  Information on this can be found here.  Once this script has been adjusted, you will need to restart ArcGIS Server for the changes to take effect.
0 Kudos
OlivierOlivier
New Contributor III
Hi Jeff,

Thanks very much, that was it ! There were in fact two mistakes, Oracle path was faulty and tnsnames.ora wasn't set with appropriate rights.

Olivier
0 Kudos