crush file

08-09-2016 12:27 PM
rubatala
New Contributor III

I  have the following question:

1.why when the sever down or the services down arcgis server generated crush dump file?

and is there a way to read them or open them , what is the analyze tool that I need it  to open them and to read them?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ScottFierro2
Occasional Contributor III

1) I've always used Microsoft Visual Studio to open them and read them. Know lots of people may not have it and hopefully some others can offer up what they use for reading them.

2) Not certain but sounds like maybe you are wondering about the OS level logs? If so and IF you are using a Windows environment then you want to go to Server Manager > Diagnostics > Event Viewer > Windows Logs  (this is on Windows Server 2008). Believe in 2012 you just go to the Events area under the Local Server but don't have any instances to confirm exact paths but a Google search would give you where to go.

3) Haven't seen this error before but perhaps look at what Jose says here How to avoid this error: XML Parsing Error: no element found but he suggests permissions issues.

rubatala
New Contributor III

thank you Scott this is very helpful.  but i found this error also (  2. method failed.HRESULT=0x80004005 <msg>.time=545487.. type=debug)

and when i searched a bout it. it seem  not server error hresult ??

0 Kudos
ScottFierro2

Hmmm what version of Microsoft .NET do you have installed and what version of ArcServer are you using?

0 Kudos
rubatala
New Contributor III

im using windows 7 and AGS 10.3 and please forward to me the steps of how to read and open the crush dump file please

thank you so much.

0 Kudos
ScottFierro2

OK, so you want to go into your Control Panel and look to see what version of .NET is installed. On this machine it is 4.6.1

You may need to update this as its something that can be easily overlooked.

As for how to open the .dmp files if you are using Microsoft Visual Studio you right click on the .dmp file and click on OPEN

You should get this pop-up and you mark "Select a program..." and click OK. A new window pops up and you locate your Microsoft Visual Studio and choose it.

Once you have selected MS Visual Studio it should open and looks like this. For this .dmp it appears there was a permissions issue based off what is in the "Exception Information".

If you don't have MS Visual Studio you could go get one of these free tools to dig into the .dmp 3 Ways to Analyze Memory Dump (.dmp) File • Raymond.CC

rubatala
New Contributor III

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
ScottFierro2

Hmmm ok that's a pretty current version so that wouldn't seem to be the problem.

0 Kudos
rubatala
New Contributor III

Thank you scott but i have another question please.

error like these from where i should start specially i didnt find any error similiar to it

I mean when i should manage the error if it from the same AGS or from the system

And why AGS generate a dump file and its depend on the source code or not?

0 Kudos
JayJohnson2
Occasional Contributor

For anyone wondering how to find the crash dump file in the first place, it is in this spot:

C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\CrashDumps

It is a hidden file, so to see it you must navigate to the folder, click the Organize button, then choose Folder and Search Options from the pull-down list.  In the Folder Options dialog box, click the View tab.  In this list, under Hidden Files and Folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

0 Kudos