Creating new site fails ( ArcGIS Server 10.1 )

06-21-2012 07:31 AM
DeminHu
New Contributor
I am trying to set up ArcGIS 10.1, but I always failed at creating new site, the error shows:

Failed to create the site. The machine does not have a valid license. Please authorize ArcGIS Server by clicking Start > Programs > ArcGIS > Software Authorization

I authorized the ArcGIS server or used Software Authorization,  authorizations never failed, everything was OK, but  I  just could not create the new site,  and I always got the above error.

I completely wiped out ESRI staff including registration, then reinstall it, I still got the error.

I also have another question, could ArcGIS server 10.1 stands alone without ArcGIS desktop installed on the same computer?

I really appreciate any help, idea , clue on this issue.
0 Kudos
12 Replies
ArtUllman
New Contributor
HI Demin,

I had a similar problem.  I was able to fix it by changing the etc/hosts to use 127.0.0.1 as described in the following link:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/54420-Fresh-Prerelease-installation-quot-Failed-to-create-the-site....

Art
0 Kudos
DeminHu
New Contributor
Hi, Art

Thank you so much, it fixed the problem.
0 Kudos
ArtUllman
New Contributor
I am not sure why this was a problem.  Originally, I had the following /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost
199.x.x.x realservername

This did not work.  I then changed my /etc/hosts to:

127.0.0.1 localhost realservername

Once I made this change, I was able to run the post install.  This is strange, since I have some other servers that are not configured this way.  Some had no entry at all in the /etc/hosts.

Either way, this is something worth trying since it fixed my problem.
0 Kudos
ZarehDemirdjian
New Contributor III
HI Demin,

I had a similar problem.  I was able to fix it by changing the etc/hosts to use 127.0.0.1 as described in the following link:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/54420-Fresh-Prerelease-installation-quot-Failed-to-create-the-site....

Art

Hello Art,
the above link is not working, i am facing a similar problem can you kindly let me know the steps

Thanks
0 Kudos
AnneReuland
Esri Contributor
Hi,

For those seeing this error during Create Site:

Failed to create the site. The machine does not have a valid license. Please authorize ArcGIS Server

Please refer to this newly published technical article:

http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/40405:

Please reply to this forum post with your results.

Thank you,
Anne

(ed. updated info from Anne)
0 Kudos
LilyChen
New Contributor
having the same issue, cannot access the link in earlier post, please help
0 Kudos
SaraDe_Roeck
New Contributor
Hello,

I posted it already there but none of the two proposed solutions helped (changing etc/hosts or renaming the keycodes file).
I'm not using an ECP file but I got an authorization number from Esri.
Does anyone have a clue?

FYI, this is what's on the forum:

Error Message
When creating a new site in ArcGIS Server Manager, the process fails with the error:

"Failed to create the site. The machine does not have a valid license. Please authorize ArcGIS Server by clicking Start > Programs > ArcGIS > Software Authorization."

Cause
ArcGIS Server was authorized using a PRVC or ECP file that is intended for a version prior to 10.1.

Solution or Workaround
1. In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\ESRI\License10.1\sysgen.
2. Rename the keycodes file.
3. Run the Software Authorization wizard using a 10.1 authorization number, ECP file, or PRVC file.
4. Open the new keycodes file that was created during step 3 and verify that all features include the version �??101�??. If the contents of the file are not version �??101�??, contact your local Esri Customer Service to acquire the correct 10.1 authorization.
5. Navigate to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
6. Restart the ArcGIS Server service.
7. Open ArcGIS Server Manager and choose Create New Site.
0 Kudos
DeminHu
New Contributor
Did you follow Art's suggestion, make a little change on host file:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

set : 127.0.0.1   localhost  servername
0 Kudos
AdnanAli
New Contributor
Hi,

For those seeing this error during Create Site:

Failed to create the site. The machine does not have a valid license. Please authorize ArcGIS Server

Please refer to this newly published technical article:

http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/40405:

Please reply to this forum post with your results.

Thank you,
Anne

(ed. updated info from Anne)

Well, I have been struggling with this issue for more than a week now, and never suspected on the invalidity of my license because the athorization wizard finishes with a success message, the ArcGIS Server service starts successfully, but you only see the error while creating a new site, this is weird. I was also in contact with support team from my local ESRI partner, and they in turn were in contact with ESRI US, they also looked into my "keycodes" file but never told me that the problem could be with an older authorization number intended for version 10.0.
Finally today I looked into my keycodes file myself and found "100" against each feature and asked my distributor to issue me a 10.1 number just to test (still I was not confident that this could be the cause)

Now I was looking for a place to post this issue/solution and found that it has recently been posted in the knowledge base, but I think ESRI should fix this issue by releasing a patch, so that the error shows up during the software authorization wizard, not while creating a new site!

I have it posted already by the way: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/61463-Error-Failed-to-create-the-site.-The-machine-does-not-have-a-....
0 Kudos