Create Enterprise Geodatabase Error..

Jump to solution
08-06-2012 02:17 PM
BryanKaraffa
New Contributor III
I am trying to create my first enterprise geodatabase and I am using the tool. I have successfully made a connection with the administrator account (postgres) in ArcCatalog. Here is the results of the geoprocess:

Executing: CreateEnterpriseGeodatabase PostgreSQL star-ags icm DATABASE_AUTH postgres ***** SDE_SCHEMA sde ***** # "C:\Program Files\ESRI\License10.1\sysgen\keycodes"
Start Time: Mon Aug 06 15:13:53 2012
User has privileges required to create database objects.
Geodatabase admin user already exists.
Database already exists.
Validated authorization file.
User has required privileges for geodatabase setup.
XML support is enabled for the database instance.
You must copy the latest ST_GEOMETRY and dependent libraries to the PostgreSQL software location. Refer to the ArcGIS help topics for more details.

Connected RDBMS instance is not setup for Esri spatial type configuration.
Failed to execute (CreateEnterpriseGeodatabase).
Failed at Mon Aug 06 15:13:54 2012 (Elapsed Time: 1.00 seconds)

The error reads:
You must copy the latest ST_GEOMETRY and dependent libraries to the PostgreSQL software location. Refer to the ArcGIS help topics for more details.

This is a fresh install of Desktop/Server 10.1 running alongside a fresh install of Postgres 9.0.5 (64bit). Anxiously awaiting a response.. 🙂
20 Replies
MichaelCarson4
New Contributor III
It is with great misfortune that I am getting the same errors as well.
And there doesn't seem to be a technical support person at ESRI capable of getting through.

Please let me know if any one finds a solution. PostGres/PostGIS is such a fabulous tool.

Hi Proyer.  Are you using Windows or Linux and what version?  Also what version of PostgreSQL did you install?
0 Kudos
PatrickRoyer
New Contributor
Hi Michael;

Thanks for responding.  I am using Windows Server 2008R. I have installed all the client libraries, and have the .dll in the postgres lib path. I can create a new enterprise database, but can't enable an existing PostGres/PostGIS database.

I've now tried it with both Postgres 9.0 and 9.1.
0 Kudos
MichaelCarson4
New Contributor III
Hi Michael;

Thanks for responding.  I am using Windows Server 2008R. I have installed all the client libraries, and have the .dll in the postgres lib path. I can create a new enterprise database, but can't enable an existing PostGres/PostGIS database.

I've now tried it with both Postgres 9.0 and 9.1.

So it sounds like you were able to get the ST_GEOMETRY libraries installed and were successful in creating a new enterprise geodatabase.  Now you are trying to enable a PostGIS database?  I did not install PostGIS since I did not need OGC Simple Features.  I assume you are using ArcGIS Desktop 10.1?  Just in case you did not read yet, there is some great help setting up PostGIS here: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//002p0000006v000000.  Also, make sure you are using the right PostGIS version with your PostgreSQL version, ArcGIS version, Windows Server version: http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/40553.
0 Kudos
MarkoMladineo
New Contributor
I'm having the same ST_GEOMETRY problem on ArcGIS Server 10.1 on Linux:

My configuration is:
ArcGIS Server 10.1. on Linux CentOS 6.0
ArcGIS Desktop 10.2 on Windows 8.1
PostgreSQL 9.0
ST_GEOMETRY 9.0 with all permissions set
PostgreSQL Windows binaries 9.0

Does ESRI have some special version of PostgreSQL?
Does anyone have any idea what to try?
0 Kudos
MichaelCarson4
New Contributor III
Hi Marko.  I see you are using ArcGIS Server 10.1 and ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.  I believe for things to work together, all your ArcGIS software needs to be of the same version ... at least that is what ESRI says when they release a new version or service pack.

That being said, you should be able to find the proper ST_GEOMETRY.SO file for your Linux server under your ArcGIS Server 10.1 install directory (its in a directory like arcgis/server/databasesupport/postgresql) and place it your PostgreSQL lib directory.  Just follow the instructions for a Linux server here:
'>http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Setting_up_a_geodatabase_in_PostgreSQL/0...

I also noticed that you are using Linux CentOS 6.0.  I don't think that is supported.  See http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/system-requirements/10.1/index.html#/PostgreSQL_Database_Require... .
0 Kudos
VivekRaj
New Contributor
Getting error while creating enterprise database

When i try to create enterprise database using ArcCalaog 10.2 then it gives error
"You must copy the latest ST_GEOMETRY and dependent libraries to the PostgreSQL softeware location. "

I have already copied ST_GEOMETRY.dll in PostgreSQL lib directory from C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Desktop<release#>\DatabaseSupport\PostgreSQL\Windows64, but still problem is same.

And also DLL's which is needed in ArcGIS client system is already copied in bin directory.

My Configuration details are:
Windows server 2008R2 Standard 64bit
PostgreSQl 9.2 64 bit
PostGIS 2.0
ArcGIS 10.2
ArcCalaog 10.2

Many thanks if anybody help me to fix this issue.
0 Kudos
MarkoMladineo
New Contributor
Getting error while creating enterprise database
When i try to create enterprise database using ArcCalaog 10.2 then it gives error
"You must copy the latest ST_GEOMETRY and dependent libraries to the PostgreSQL softeware location. "

My Configuration details are:
PostgreSQl 9.2 64 bit

I'm not sure if PostgreSQL 9.2 is supported. Try PostgreSQL 9.1 or 9.0.

Unfortunately, I have same problem on Linux, as I've mentioned above. I still haven't solve it.

Marko
0 Kudos
MichaelCarson4
New Contributor III
Try using the DLL under C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\DatabaseSupport\PostgreSQL\9.2\Windows64 and place it in the lib directory for your PostgreSQL install.  -mike
MarkReddick
New Contributor III
Try using the DLL under C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\DatabaseSupport\PostgreSQL\9.2\Windows64 and place it in the lib directory for your PostgreSQL install.  -mike

Michael this was the perfect solution for me. Copying from the desktop database support files did not work. Copying from the server database support files location did! thank you! Both files appear to be the same size but something must be different.

mark
0 Kudos
Navaneetha_KrishnanAsokan
New Contributor II

Having Configurations - Arcgis 10.1

postgresql-9.0.23-1-windows-x64

Properly copied st_geometry.dll to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.0\lib

Getting Error while running the Tool - CreateEnterpriseGeodatabase

User has privileges required to create database objects.

Geodatabase admin user already exists.

Database created.

Error connecting to database as geodatabase admin

Failed to execute (CreateEnterpriseGeodatabase).

0 Kudos