Change feature service back to hosted feature service?

Jump to solution
02-06-2019 10:05 AM
Joshua-Young
Occasional Contributor III

After upgrading from ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6 to 10.6.1 I discovered that all my previously published hosted feature services and hosted feature service views are now showing up and regular feature services in ArcGIS Portal. On the ArcGIS Server side they still display their settings as if they are hosted feature services. All the previously established hosted feature service specific configurations seem to be intact, but the settings page in ArcGIS Portal just shows me the URL for the service instead of all the settings.

Publishing new hosted feature services works just fine and the settings are there. I cannot find anything different in the configuration JSON other than the new hosted feature services have a currentversion value of 10.61 whereas all the old hosted features services have a currentversion of 10.6.

Does anyone know of a way to force ArcGIS Portal to recognize the old services as actual hosted feature services?

Worst case it looks like I can use the Copy Features functionality in ArcGIS Pro to download a copy of the data and republish all of them that way. However that is not idea as there are many old hosted feature services and the Copy Features tool does not grab the domains.

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Joshua-Young

I know this thread is old but just in case others are having the issue of hosted feature services being in a hybrid state where ArcGIS Portal thinks the service is a standard feature service but ArcGIS Server thinks it is a hosted feature service. In troubleshooting a different issue I stumbled upon a solution that worked for me.

In the Contents directory of ArcGIS Portal every item has a iteminfo.xml file associated with it. This is apparently where Esri marks a feature service as a hosted feature service. In the "<typekeywords>" section make sure there is a typekeyword set as "<typekeyword>Hosted Service</typekeyword>". That is all I had to do. I did not have to restart any services or processes, I just had to refresh the item page in ArcGIS Portal and there were all the settings and options for hosted feature services again. Creating views and changing settings are available again and work.

Hosted feature service views require two typekeywords, "<typekeyword>Hosted Service</typekeyword><typekeyword>View Service</typekeyword>".

I still wish I knew why the 10.6 to 10.6.1 upgrade stripped the "Hosted Service" typekeyword from ALL the hosting feature services that existed at the time of the upgrade. A year and a half of hosted feature services were rendered unmanageable because of that bug. Hopefully this helps someone else and I would recommend making a backup copy of the XML file before modifying anything.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Joshua-Young

I know this thread is old but just in case others are having the issue of hosted feature services being in a hybrid state where ArcGIS Portal thinks the service is a standard feature service but ArcGIS Server thinks it is a hosted feature service. In troubleshooting a different issue I stumbled upon a solution that worked for me.

In the Contents directory of ArcGIS Portal every item has a iteminfo.xml file associated with it. This is apparently where Esri marks a feature service as a hosted feature service. In the "<typekeywords>" section make sure there is a typekeyword set as "<typekeyword>Hosted Service</typekeyword>". That is all I had to do. I did not have to restart any services or processes, I just had to refresh the item page in ArcGIS Portal and there were all the settings and options for hosted feature services again. Creating views and changing settings are available again and work.

Hosted feature service views require two typekeywords, "<typekeyword>Hosted Service</typekeyword><typekeyword>View Service</typekeyword>".

I still wish I knew why the 10.6 to 10.6.1 upgrade stripped the "Hosted Service" typekeyword from ALL the hosting feature services that existed at the time of the upgrade. A year and a half of hosted feature services were rendered unmanageable because of that bug. Hopefully this helps someone else and I would recommend making a backup copy of the XML file before modifying anything.

0 Kudos