Cannot delete version

06-09-2011 09:48 AM
CraigMark
New Contributor III
Software
ArcSDE 9.3.1 SP1

Problem Description

I have a a two level version tree setup - Default -> Users

I have a child version (parent is default) with no dependents.  I can't delete the version.

There were never any child versions created from that version.  I've tried through Catalog, command line - sdeversion commands, tried changing the version name, reconciling again, start/stopping sde, rebooting the server...

Error Message

From ArcCatalog (right click>versions>Delete version)

�??Unable to delete version.  Operation not allowed on a version with dependent children [ownername.loc_1106]�?�

From command line - (sdeversion -o delete....)

Error: Can not delete a version that is the parent of other versions (-285).
Error: Unable to delete version.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Craig
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RickMomsen
New Contributor II
Craig,
One possible cause of this is if one of your users created the version as 'private'.  In this case, the only other user that can see this version is SDE; who can also delete it.  You can also check the SDE.VERSIONS table to see all versions and their properties.
0 Kudos
CraigMark
New Contributor III
Rick - good call...  I create the versions for our users.  I double checked and it is public.
0 Kudos
CraigMark
New Contributor III
Problem Fixed - There were dependents... Someone had created a child version - I found the dependency in the sde versions table. (Thanks Rick!)

I wonder if there's an easier way to see the version dependents?

- Craig
0 Kudos
ToddMurphy
New Contributor II
...I wonder if there's an easier way to see the version dependents?...

Right, like a model builder-type utility that draws a tree diagram out?  That would rock.
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Craig and Todd,

... I wonder if there's an easier way to see the version dependents?

Right, like a model builder-type utility that draws a tree diagram out?  That would rock.

FYI, at ArcGIS 10.1, there are several new tools that make the management of ArcSDE geodatabases much easier. including an enhanced version manager dialog.

From the Jack Pre-UC 2011 Q&A:

> What are some of the enhancements to the geodatabase in ArcGIS 10.1?

> Administering my enterprise geodatabase can be difficult. Are there any tools coming that will help ...

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos