Cannot add Living Atlas layer via Web AppBuilder Add Data Widget

08-10-2022 06:02 AM
ZacharyHart
Occasional Contributor III

ArcGIS  Enterprise 10.9.1, subscriber content is enabled within our organization and Living Atlas content is enabled.

ZacharyHart_0-1659036129366.png

In the Classic Web Map viewer, there is an option to add directly from the Living Atlas

ZacharyHart_0-1659035411792.png

There is a Content tab for Living Atlas as well:

ZacharyHart_1-1659035463817.png

Using the Add Data widget in the Web AppBuilder web app however, there is no Living Atlas to search from:

ZacharyHart_2-1659035564815.png

If I use the same search within the AppBuilder as I do in Map Viewer, no results are found:

ZacharyHart_3-1659035659577.png

This Esri blog post here suggests that you can enable subscriber content in Web AppBuilder (although I really don't care about subscriber content, we just want Living Atlas):

ZacharyHart_4-1659035793598.png

However, the attribute pane looks nothing like this in the WAB in Portal:

ZacharyHart_5-1659035877642.png

Why is it that we cannot add Living Atlas layers in WAB in Portal but we can add and use Living Atlas Layers in the Map Viewer?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ZacharyHart

Is this expected behavior?

0 Kudos
KaitlynPurcell
Esri Contributor

Hi Zachary,

I was able to add the Esri Hydro Reference Overlay service via the Add Data Widget using the service url. If you navigate to this item in Portal (Content > Living Atlas > 'Esri Hydro Reference') and open the Item Details, you should see the service url at the bottom right of this screen - https://services.arcgis.com/P3ePLMYs2RVChkJx/arcgis/rest/services/USA_States_Generalized/FeatureServ...

I added this through the URL option in the Add Data widget:

serviceurl.png

From the blog post, 'Much of the content found in the Living Atlas is public and ready-to-use in maps, scenes, and apps with no restrictions or authentication required. However, some content is not publicly available and falls into two categories: Subscriber and Premium Content' so there is no additional configuration needed. 

Hopefully this helps, but feel free to let me know if you have further questions.

Kaitlyn

0 Kudos
ZacharyHart

Hi Kaitlyn,

The difference here is that users cannot browse the content like they can in the Map Viewer. They would somehow have to know the URL.

Why can users browse Living Atlas content in the Map Viewer but cannot browse Living Atlas content via Add Data widget in the Web AppBuilder web app?

0 Kudos
KaitlynPurcell
Esri Contributor

Hey Zachary,

It looks like this may be by design or a limitation of the Add Data Widget. I would recommend browsing ArcGIS Ideas to see if there's an existing Idea for this functionality. If not, feel free to create one.

Best,

Kaitlyn

0 Kudos
ZacharyHart

I'm a bit at a loss for words as to why there wouldn't be parity in Map Viewer and Web App Builder for browsing Living Atlas content. Both are built-in application resources in Enterprise & AGO deployments alike (which are both in-turn directly tied to Living Atlas).

Could you please offer Esri's perspective on this here?

0 Kudos