Can you manually update WAB in ArcGIS Enterprise?

01-29-2018 11:37 AM
Joshua-Young
Occasional Contributor III

So ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6 was just recently released and uses Web AppBuilder 2.6. Does anyone know if it is possible or advisable to replace it with Web AppBuilder Developer Edition 2.7?

I am not referring to registering WAB Developer Edition with ArcGIS Portal. Instead I mean swapping the install files of the two versions.

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joshua,

> Does anyone know if it is possible or advisable to replace it with Web AppBuilder Developer Edition 2.7?

No, this is not supported. By attempting to modify the underlying files for Web AppBuilder in Portal, you would be altering the internal Portal for ArcGIS software installation and this will void your tech support license agreement.

Please use Web AppBuilder Developer Edition v2.7 (registered externally) with Portal if you want to use the latest app release.

Hope this helps,

Joshua-Young
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you for replying so quickly. I was just curious if that was something Esri supported. I guess WAB for ArcGIS Enterprise will always be a version or two behind ArcGIS Online.

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien
0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Online gets updated first.  The Dev edition gets updated about 6-8 weeks later.  The Portal seems to be only updated as Portal (part of Enterprise not) is updated, so yes, that may be a version or two behind.

edit:  btw - that doesn't mean that you can't use and host the Dev edition with services from Portal.  It's just you are using the Dev edition and not one of the more pre-fab'd "portal" versions.  Although the version might be behind the online version for a while (i.e  new widgets come out with the Online version first), the Dev version still has many of the features, just not the newest stuff.  Check out my blog /blogs/myAlaskaGIS/2016/03/09/web-appbuilder-developer-edition-customization-resource-list?sr=search...‌  for links to other info and the custom widgets that others have written (which may not be availabe in the portal versions).

0 Kudos