Can you install ArcGIS for Server Advanced Enterprise on SQL Server Express

09-04-2014 04:31 PM
JaromHlebasko
Occasional Contributor III

I am fairly new to ArcGIS for Server and I am trying to read up on documentation about different database management systems and I cannot seem to find an answer on whether or not I can install ArcGIS for Server Advanced Enterprise on SQL Server Express? I'm trying to set up an Enterprise Geodatabase with the trial version of Server Advanced Enterprise. Any help would be much appreciated.

42 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Basically you don't need SQL Server Express or rather any DBMS for installing ArcGIS Server. They are completely separate installations, with no links as such w.r.t installation.

Yes, the SQL Server Express instance can be used to create an sde enterprise geodatabase, as required.

Here are some links for reference. these are for 10.1. You can search for similar links for 10.2.x as well.

• A quick tour of setting up a geodatabase in SQL Server:

ArcGIS Help 10.1

• Creating a database and geodatabase in SQL Server:

ArcGIS Help 10.1

• Enabling geodatabase functionality in an existing SQL Server database:

ArcGIS Help 10.1

• Setting up a connection to SQL Server:

ArcGIS Help 10.1

• Database connections in ArcGIS for Desktop:

ArcGIS Help 10.1

0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko

What exactly is the main difference between Microsoft SQL Server express and just the standard SQL Server? I am leaning towards Amazon Web Services so it would be nice to know exactly what I need to get to effectively run the enterprise that I am wanting. Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jarom,

Take a look at the section 'How is ArcSDE technology included in ArcGIS' in the following link.  Basically, with SQL Server Express you are limited to the amount of cores and RAM, database size, and the amount of users.  With standard SQL Server, there is no limit for any of these.

0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the info! So if I am understanding this correctly and based on the link you gave me, SQL Server Express is included with Desktop Standard & Advanced, Engine, and ArcGIS for Server Workgroup and ArcSDE for all other DBMSs is included with ArcGIS for Server? This being said, I do not have to purchase Standard SQL Server since it comes with ArcGIS for Server Advanced?

Thanks,

Jarom

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

No.

SQL Server Express is a free software anyway and can be downloaded from the Microsoft website for free.

ESRI provides the SQL Server 2008 R2 Express edition along with SDE Personal and SDE Workgroup setups.

SDE Personal comes along with ArcGIS Desktop, SDE Workgroup doesn't.

SQL Server Standard or SQl Server Enterprise is not provided along with any of the ESRI applications. You need to buy it and get the required setups from Microsoft, just like Oracle.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

ArcGIS for Desktop Standard and Advanced includes an installation of Microsoft SQL Server Express. These software products also include ArcSDE capabilities to support ArcSDE geodatabases in SQL Server Express for up to three simultaneous desktop users.

ArcGIS for Server is still a separate product that you will need to purchase.  There are two levels, Workgroup or Enterprise.  Workgroup is for SQL Server Express, and Enterprise is for any of the other supported RDBMs, i.e. Oracle, SQL Server, Informix, DB2, or PostgreSQL.

With each level there are three editions:  Basic, Standard, and Advanced.  Here is a functionality matrix that describes the capabilities of each:

http://www.esri.com/library/brochures/pdfs/arcgis-server-functionality-matrix.pdf

So, with just ArcGIS for Desktop (Standard or Advanced) you can use an enterprise geodatabase with SQL Server Express with three simultaneous users.  If you needed up to 10 users, you could purchase ArcGIS for Server Workgroup (Basic).  If you wanted to be able to create map services, you would want to purchase ArcGIS for Server Workgroup (Standard).   You can refer to the functionality matrix to see if you need ArcGIS for Server Workgroup (Advanced).

If you needed more than 10 users you would want to purchase ArcGIS for Server Enterprise (Basic).  If you wanted to be able to create map services as well, you would want to purchase ArcGIS for Server Enterprise (Standard).  You can refer to the functionality matrix to see if you need ArcGIS for Server Enterprise (Advanced).

With an enterprise level, you will need to purchase the RDBMS yourself.  In the original link I sent, see the following line:

ArcSDE support at the enterprise server level can scale to databases of any size and number of users and runs on computers of any size and configuration. ArcGIS for Server, you provide your own DBMS license for this level of ArcSDE use.

JaromHlebasko

All of this information is fantastic, thank you! I guess my main issue is this: I am looking at becoming an ASP (application service provider) by purchasing ArcGIS for Server Enterprise Advanced which will allow me to have any number of users I want. I want to install the server on Amazon Web Services and I noticed that there are several different options to use while doing so. I have used the Cloud Builder provided by ESRI and noticed that there are several DBMSs to choose from. Based on the management system I choose, the pricing tier goes up or down on Amazon. With Amazon services, they allow me to choose an operating system as well as a database management system but do I need to purchase these licenses (Windows Server & SQL Server) as well or does Amazon take care of that based on the fees they charge? From what you're saying, SQL Server Express will only allow me to have 3 simultaneous users via ArcGIS for Desktop but if I was to register it with my server, I could only use it for a workgroup license level.

At the end of the day, I want my users to be able to use map services out in the field and leverage editing capabilities provided by an Enterprise Geodatabase. I know I am probably all over the map with my questions. Sorry for the confusion!

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

With Amazon services, they allow me to choose an operating system as well as a database management system but do I need to purchase these licenses (Windows Server & SQL Server) as well or does Amazon take care of that based on the fees they charge?

I believe these fees are taken care of by Amazon.

AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

You can use a SQL Server Express instance to create an sde enterprise geodatabase and use it for publishing the Map Services. That way there will be no limitation on the number of connections.

But as Jake had mentioned previously, you should take a look at the limitations of SQL Server Express once, specially the database size limit (each database has a limitation of 10GB in size). However, you can create multiple databases if that works for you.

0 Kudos