Can Users reset passwords for ArcGIS built in security?

07-19-2012 11:44 AM
AndrewDuff
New Contributor
AT 10.0 there was a web page included along with ArcGIS server that would allow a user to to reset his account in the SQL Server user store.  Does anything like that exist for 10.0?  How can I allow my users to change their passwords?

Thx
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
AndrewDuff
New Contributor
AT 10.0 there was a web page included along with ArcGIS server that would allow a user to to reset his account in the SQL Server user store.  Does anything like that exist for 10.0?  How can I allow my users to change their passwords?

Thx

Can anyone help me out here?
0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi,

to change the password of an existing user in the built-in store, you will need to provide credentials for an ArcGIS Server Administrator. You can invoke the http://server:port/arcgis/admin/security/users/update end point of the ArcGIS Server Administration REST API.

at this point, there is not an out of the box page where users can go and change their passwords, although the end point above can be invoked from any scripting language. Typically, you would write a simple page from which users can first provide their existing password (to verify that they are the user claim to be), and then pass their new password into a PHP, Java or ASP.Net etc page that would actually connect to the ArcGIS Server with Admin credentials and make the change on behalf of the user.

Ismael
0 Kudos
AndrewDuff
New Contributor

Hi Ismael,

We are finally starting a development effort to build this tool.  We are looking at ways to ensure the user is who they say they are before allowing updates to user credentials.  The getUsers and Search functions do not return the users passwords (as far as we can tell).  Is there a simple admin call that we could use to verify the user who they say they are before making a call to modify the store (before we update a password for example)?  Thanks, Andy

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
How can I verify that the user entered their old password correctly, before I use the administrator account to reset their password?
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
After communication with Esri Support in Redlands, they created a new documentation bug
#NIM085420 ArcGIS Server Administrator API for 10.1 help document states that there is an operation to change the password for a user account but none exists.

As for a workaround, the one that Ismael suggested above is how it can be done for builtin user stores. For other types of user stores, just directly make your code work the user stores' API.
0 Kudos
AndrewDuff
New Contributor
Hi,

At this point, there is not an out of the box page where users can go and change their passwords, although the end point above can be invoked from any scripting language. Typically, you would write a simple page from which users can first provide their existing password (to verify that they are the user claim to be), and then pass their new password into a PHP, Java or ASP.Net etc page that would actually connect to the ArcGIS Server with Admin credentials and make the change on behalf of the user.

Ismael

Thank you for the response Ismael.  This would be an excellent sample script for using the Rest Admin API such as this one for uploading user accounts - http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/Example_Create_users_and_roles_from_a_CSV_file/01540....  I know this is probably pretty simple but I haven't done anything like this before.  Do you have any pointers to help me get started?

Thanks,

Andy
0 Kudos
AndrewDuff
New Contributor
bumping this old thread, hoping that ESRI has a sample for this?
0 Kudos