Can the WebGISDR BACKUP_LOCATION use a local drive letter?

Jump to solution
07-08-2020 09:09 PM
ZianChoy
Occasional Contributor

I tried:

BACKUP_LOCATION = "C:\\Make Believe Folder"

But WebGISDR says:

Cannot access the location "C:\Make Believe Folder".

And Process Monitor says that the program is trying to access the following path:

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\tools\webgisdr\"C:\Make Believe Folder"

I know the C drive is a little contrived. However, my real destination is likely going to be quite similar (e.g. "Z:\") because we use mapped network drives at my company.

I'm using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1 on Windows Server 2019.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you try to use double back slashes for all paths, without quotes? I know traditionally, spaces need to be handled within any command prompt or .bat file, but I tested using spaces in the path and it worked without quotes. For example, I tried:

SHARED_LOCATION = C:\\the backups

BACKUP_LOCATION = C:\\the backups

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, the DR tool does support a local drive for the BACKUP_LOCATION. It may look for the path within it's own directory after it can't find the absolute path on the file system. Can you provide a screenshot of the properties file you're using, obscuring/omitting sensitive information?

0 Kudos
ZianChoy
Occasional Contributor

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you try to use double back slashes for all paths, without quotes? I know traditionally, spaces need to be handled within any command prompt or .bat file, but I tested using spaces in the path and it worked without quotes. For example, I tried:

SHARED_LOCATION = C:\\the backups

BACKUP_LOCATION = C:\\the backups

ZianChoy
Occasional Contributor

You're right. I tried changing my properties file to use the same location for both SHARED and BACKUP and the format you described.

Then, I ran C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\tools\webgisdr>webgisdr --export --file "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\geonet.properties"

Then the backup ran OK.

It looks like the SHARED_LOCATION was the problem because when I restored the original value, the utility died.

The original value was:

SHARED_LOCATION=C:\Backups

The new (working) value is:

SHARED_LOCATION=C:\\Backups

JayHodny
Occasional Contributor III

We are attempting an Enterprise upgrade to 10.8.1 now, and are running into the same issue when trying to backup Portal.  We have tried the D:\\ path, same folder names, but no success.

"The value of the property BACKUP_STORE_PROVIDER cannot be empty." is the message we are getting.  We specified "Filesystem."
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

You need to set the BACKUP_STORE_PROVIDER property in the properties file. If you're saving the backup to disk, you need to set the property to FileSystem. The properties file describes the possible values.

DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

Jay Hodny

did Jon's advice get you across the line?