Select to view content in your preferred language

Can't install ArcGIS Server 11.3 and ArcGIS Datastore 11.3 on some VM with specific CPU

05-31-2024 06:58 AM
NicolasGIS
Regular Contributor

Hello,

I am facing an issue with the new 11.3 setups of ArcGIS Server  and ArcGIS Datastore: service won't start after a successfull installation. Portal for ArcGIS works.

I found out there is an installation log at 11.3 in  "C:\Program Files\Arcgis\Server\framework\support", where the following error is logged:

# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:

#

#  Internal Error (codeBuffer.cpp:972), pid=7088, tid=3008

#  guarantee(sect->end() <= tend) failed: sanity

#

# JRE version:  (17.0.10+7) (build )

# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (17.0.10+7, mixed mode, sharing, tiered, compressed oops, compressed class ptrs, g1 gc, windows-amd64)

# Core dump will be written. Default location: C:\Windows\system32\hs_err_pid7088.mdmp

#

# An error report file with more information is saved as:

# C:\Windows\system32\hs_err_pid7088.log

But as if it was not a systematic issue, I understood it was related to the CPU of the VM which is:

Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6326 CPU @ 2.90GHz

On some other CPU, it works.  With previous versions of the setup (11.1/11.2), it works.

Anyone else ? I guess one shall verify the setup works on the same CPU as the VM which is upgraded otherwise it could be a big issue I guess ! I feel lucky I realized this issue before upgrading a VM with a problematic CPU !

Thanks,

Nicolas

/cc @CedricDespierreCorporon 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Not sure I understand, but I am prepping to upgrade 11.2>11.3 next week.  Why would the ArcGIS Servers' framework jre care what flavor the cpu is on a given windows VM?

0 Kudos
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

what OS are you using?

The only requirement for CPU is x86_64 architecture (64bit), and the OS can be Linux or Windows. I'd check the other system requirements first and reinstall if the system meets the minimal requirements, particularly when the CPU works for 11.2. 

ArcGIS Server 11.3 system requirements—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

ArcGIS Server 11.3 system requirements—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

0 Kudos
NicolasGIS
Regular Contributor

Hi @simoxu ,

Thanks for your reply.

Been tried on WS2019 and WS2022. 

Requirements are met (if CPU is a different model than the one I listed, it works).

The error message seems to be related to CPU:

[JDK-8271324] [lworld] java/foreign/* tests fail with "guarantee(sect->end() <= tend) failed: sanity...

0 Kudos
DenverBilling
New Contributor III

Did you figure out what was causing the problem? 

0 Kudos
NicolasGIS
Regular Contributor

No, not yet unfortunately. My ticket was escalated to Inc. one week ago as our local support did not have "Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6326 CPU @ 2.90GHz" CPU to test. So far, no news. Will update here once the issue is identified.

DenverBilling
New Contributor III

FYI, I was able to update (11.1 to 11.3) this weekend with this processor on our VM. No major issues detected..yet!

0 Kudos
NicolasGIS
Regular Contributor

Hello @DenverBilling,

Many thanks for this interesting piece of information. Would be interesting for us to understand the difference between you and us.
Are you running Windows Server ?
You mentionned VM so you are on a virtualized environment right ? What technonolgy ? Also, what CPU model is passed to your VM ? For example, looking for CPU on my Windows Server, I have the following:

NicolasGIS_0-1719301391933.png

Thanks !

0 Kudos
DenverBilling
New Contributor III

We're running Windows Server 2019 on Nutanix. It looks like our CPUs are different though:2024-06-25 13_54_27-CPU.png

0 Kudos
NicolasGIS
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your reply @DenverBilling : much appreciated.

Thanks to your reply, IT explained to me that you virtualized environment must be doing some kind of host CPU pass though rather than virtualizing the CPU model to the guest. They made a test a with a passthough of the CPU instead of virtualizing it and it worked. Unfortunately, it is not something they can generalize as it would affect operations like migrations, etc...

But at least we made some progress...

Once again, many thanks !

0 Kudos