Can´t access portal after upgrade to 10.8.1

12-02-2020 07:21 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

I tried to upgrade a portal installation as described in this article (https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/administer/windows/upgrade-portal-for-arcgis.htm). The Setup did complete successfully and I uploaded my licence file through the website. So far so good. But unfortunately I am not able to access the portal.

When trying to reach the portal home I get a blank screen. I did a bit of digging and I think this is the problem:

<Msg time="2020-12-02T15:58:02,331" type="SEVERE" code="218010" source="Portal Admin" process="2564" thread="1" methodName="" machine="PORTAL2018" user="" elapsed="" requestID="">The portal has been initialized and configured but is not accessible. The internal portal database does not appear to be running or accepting connections. Restart the portal machine or machines and if the problem persists, contact Esri technical support (U.S.) or your distributor (customers outside the U.S.).</Msg>
<Msg time="2020-12-02T15:59:11,403" type="SEVERE" code="218026" source="Portal" process="2564" thread="1" methodName="" machine="PORTAL2018" user="" elapsed="" requestID="">A valid connection couldnt be made to the index service. Verify the ports required by Portal for ArcGIS are open and restart the Portal for ArcGIS service. If the problem persists, contact Esri technical support (U.S.) or your distributor (customers outside the U.S.).</Msg>

I did try to find a solution, following some of the posts I found (https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-enterprise-portal/the-index-service-seems-to-be-unavaliable-ple... but I am also not able to login to the portaladmin (the portaladmin is accessible) where I get the Error, that I am not authorised to use this resource.

I tried several restarts, but no luck. Does anyone have an idea? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

So you ran the setup, and once the setup completed, you're able to reach the portal home page, given you were able to upload your license. Once you hit Continue Upgrade, did the home app indicate the upgrade completed successfully? What happens if you go to https://portal.domain.com:7443/arcgis/sharing/rest? Do you see a 404 error?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Jonathan,

yes, I could upload the licence and it started doing something. When I looked at it again after some time there was a blank screen. No 404 error on the /arcgis/home just blank. It seems there are some resources that are not loaded. I attached a picture.

When trying to access /arcgis/sharing/rest I get a 404 error.

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

I have upgraded a customer from 10.7 to 10.8.1 today and experienced exactly the same.  I cannot;

• Register the Web Adaptor -  I see "Unable to configure Portal with the Web Adaptor. Please make sure that the Portal machine is running and that the account specified has administrative privileges to the Portal." I
  • When I go to the https://{FQDN}:7443/arcgis/portaladmin page (for the first time) i got the option to upgrade content.  Then:
  • after that, if I go to the https://{FQDN}:7443/arcgis/portaladmin page then it renders, if I type in valid admin credentials that worked in 10.7 - I see "You are not authorized to use this resource"
  • If I go to the https://{FQDN}:7443/arcgis/home page then it renders (after a while).  When I press sign in, the page redirects to https://{FQDN}:7443/arcgis/sharing/rest/oauth2/authorize which leads to a 404 error.
  • When I look at the logs (on file) the previous subfolders under arcgisportal\logs were the hostname or fully qualified domain name.  I can now see logs under a folder (Created today) that is the webcontexturl or external URL.  - The federation fully validated and was working before the upgrade.
  • When I go to C:\ArcGIS\Portal\framework\runtime\tomcat\logs and look at the localhost.date.log, I see 
  • 09-Dec-2020 19:28:53.507 SEVERE [main] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class [org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener]
    org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'accountsRequestHandler' defined in class path resource [spring/gw-dispatcher.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'gwAccounts' while setting bean property 'accounts'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'gwAccounts' defined in class path resource [spring/gw-config.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'gwCommunity' while setting bean property 'community'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'gwCommunity' defined in class path resource [spring/gw-config.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'securityPermissions' while setting bean property 'securityPermissions'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'securityPermissions' defined in class path resource [spring/gw-config.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'gwContent' while setting bean property 'content'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'gwContent' defined in class path resource [spring/gw-config.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'gwSearch' while setting bean property 'search'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'gwSearch' defined in class path resource [spring/gw-config.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'searchIndexRemoteServiceProxy' while setting bean property 'index'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'searchIndexRemoteServiceProxy' defined in class path resource [spring/index-clients_es_portal.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'searchIndexServiceDispatcher' while setting constructor argument; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'searchIndexServiceDispatcher' defined in class path resource [spring/index-clients_es_portal.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'searchIndexServiceProxyEs' while setting bean property 'indexingServices' with key [0]; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'searchIndexServiceProxyEs' defined in class path resource [spring/index-clients_es_portal.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is java.net.ConnectException: Timeout connecting to [localhost/127.0.0.1:7220] - WINDOWS firewall is turned off.  The deployment was a manual deployment in AWS, there are strict firewall rules between machines, but this is  single machine install of the base deployment.
  • if I look here:  C:\ArcGIS\Portal\framework\runtime\ds\usr\logs then I also now see two subfolders, with the most recent logs being in the webcontext/external URL and no logs have been put into the sub-folder named after the host - I see the following error there:  [2020-12-09T20:00:19,180][ERROR][o.e.b.Bootstrap ] [FQDN] Exception
    org.elasticsearch.transport.BindTransportException: Failed to bind to [7120]

At this point we're thinking to roll-back the snapshot taken before the upgrade and try again.  Any advice in the meantime would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott Tansley
Consulting Architect (ArcGIS Enterprise)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

"Failed to bind to [7120]"

From your post below, seems like you restored from a snapshot and were able to complete the upgrade, but just wanted to point out that failed to bind means that there was a process, (likely an orphaned java.exe process), listening on 7120 which prevented the new process after the upgrade from binding to that port.

Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks, Jonathan. 

Yes, it was clear that at least one port was unhappy.  Not sure if it's related but I'd missed a detail in the upgrade.  The customer I was working with had Insights for ArcGIS installed.  I had not observed this, and it's not something I see very often with my customers.  For the second attempt (after restoring) I uninstalled Insights before the upgrade.  Not sure if that could be related or not?  It's now on my pre-requisite run sheet to ask/check about Insights before upgrading any further environments. 

The whole ArcGIS Enterprise is now successfully running and handed back to the customer for UAT. 

Thanks again for looping back.

Scott Tansley
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unfortunately we were not able to solve the issue. In the end we had to do a clean install of the portal with version 10.8.1 which worked. We were then able to successfully federate the ArGIS Server, so we didn´t loose all our data.

What I tried before was:

- Run the repair routine of the installer

- Uninstall the portal, but without deleting the arcgisportal content directories (index, content, etc). After a fresh install I was prompted with the "Continue Portal Upgrade" site, which ended in an error.

Capture.PNG

Those steps didn´t solve the issue in my case, but maybe it works for someone else.

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks yes.  I ended up rolling back to an image taken just before the 10.8.1 upgrade.  Went through the install again and it worked.  Successful upgrade today.  

Not sure if it's related but the environment was AWS.  The disk was GP2, so limited IOPS.  We used all the burst during the install of Portal which took about 5 1/2 to 6 hours.  Today we changed the disk to dedicated IOPS (IO1).  Took less than half that time and upgraded first time and nicely.  Possibly unrelated but was nice to at least see the MSI work so much faster.

Scott Tansley
0 Kudos
SelmoMalabanan
New Contributor

Hello,

I have the same issue as you have in the in the snapshot above after doing 

"- Run the repair routine of the installer

- Uninstall the portal, but without deleting the arcgisportal content directories (index, content, etc). After a fresh install I was prompted with the "Continue Portal Upgrade" site, which ended in an error."

When you mentioned you did a clean install, did you meant uninstall even Server and Web adaptor for Server and Portal apart from Portal then installing all again?

0 Kudos