Can Portal and Datastore be installed on the same server?

02-11-2022 12:38 PM
DrewDowling
Occasional Contributor III

Due to resource constraints I would like to have Portal and Datastore on the same server machine. I know they are both based on PostgreSQL and I am worried about conflicts, even though they appear to use different ports.

Is this deployment stagey supported?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanReid
New Contributor II
I've done this several times without any problems.
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes. In fact, the complete base deployment is supported on a single machine.

Single-machine deployment—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

Think Location
DrewDowling
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks @JayantaPoddar I wasn't sure that the single machine deployment included datastore.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It does. A base deployment includes the following components.

- ArcGIS Server

- Portal for ArcGIS

- ArcGIS Data Store

- ArcGIS Web Adaptor

Please check out Base ArcGIS Enterprise deployment—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

All the above components can be installed and configured on a single-machine deployment.

Think Location
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

This sounds like a bit of a can you vs should you situation.

For example, if the system is going to grow out from there it may be more work if you have to rebuild apps or other things due to deep-down internal settings being remembered/embedded in code somewhere.

Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes you can and yes you should.  :). BUT (unless it’s a sandpit or very small implementation) only use the ArcGIS Sever for hosted feature services because they’re lightweight.  Any map, geocode, geoprocessing, or other services should be on seperate ArcGIS Server  site(s).  

some careful thinking and planning means that even a single machine site on day 1 can be expanded out to a multi-machine and even highly available site in the future.  It’s all possible. But poor decisions on Day 0 will impact you later.

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos