Can not connect to server Get Proxy Error 504.

03-02-2018 07:46 AM
KennethBusby
Occasional Contributor

Attempting to connect to new Arcgis Server using Add ArcGIS Server. I enter URL and user name and password and I get the Error: We were not able to connect to "Server" Error: Proxy server got bad address from remote server (verify server is running). (Status code 504). 

I am running Acrmap 10.5.1 and server is the same. I have tested and it works on other desktops the only difference between this one and the others is it is still using Windows 7 and the others are using 10. We have taking it off the domain and put it back on, ran updates, etc.. still nothing seems to be working. has anyone seen this? I have read many similar issues that were due to miss matched versions like 10.0 on desktop and 10.4 on server but these match. I have run out of ideas and could use some more if anyone has any. 

Thanks,

Ken

25 Replies
Spatial_Fabio
New Contributor III

In case you have Arcgis Server federated with Portal you have to use the credential of Portal user

0 Kudos
abedyaakbeh
New Contributor II

I solved this problem by turning off the antivirus

0 Kudos
Suleyman-Arslan
Occasional Contributor

If ArcGIS Server is federated with ArcGIS Portal and you are using organizational account (Enterprise Login) to connect ArcGIS Portal, you have to follow steps below;

- Open ArcGIS Administrator --> Advanced --> Manage Portal Connections --> Add (Enter AarcGIS Portal URL and connect.)

- Open ArcMAP or ArcCatalog --> File --> Sign In --> Enter your Credentials to login portal.

- Confirm ArcGIS Portal connection is working by --> File-->Portal for ArcGIS

- Go to Catalog View --> GIS Servers --> Add ArcGIS Server --> Choose option (Use, Publish or Administer as per your permission level.) Enter your server URL --> Do not enter authentication information. --> Click Finish

You will be connected to your ArcGIS Server.

After that whenever you open ArcMap or ArcCatalog just double click server connection or use File menu and select Sign In you will see screen to login your account.

I hope this will help to solve your problem.

0 Kudos
YurongTan
Occasional Contributor

In your step four - Do not enter authentication information. --> Click Finish

I tried and it failed. By the way, this does not even create a connection tag because of the lack of authentication information.

0 Kudos
Suleyman-Arslan
Occasional Contributor

Please make sure you are signed in to the ArcGIS Portal before step four.  "File-->Portal for ArcGIS" or "File-->Sign in"

0 Kudos
KennedyKiemaKandia
New Contributor

Hi Ken, Hi All,

I had the same error as @KennethBusby  when trying to connect to my ArcGIS Server from ArcGIS Desktop. In my case, I had federated the ArcGIS Server in the Portal for ArcGIS.

The server url takes one of these depending on your ArcGIS Server setup:

http://gisserver.domain.com:6080/arcgis (if running in localhost)

https://gisserver.domain.com:6443/arcgis (if running in HTTPS)

https://gisserver.domain.com/arcgis (can also accept this if the server is already exposed via a Public IP)

The trick is in the User Name and Password. When providing these credentials, use the Portal for ArcGIS logins instead of ArcGIS Server administrative account. This will definitely work if you have federated your server.

Let me know if this works.

0 Kudos