Can I search ArcGIS Online content in ArcMap when I have an active connection with my Portal?

05-17-2019 07:00 AM
WimBergkamp
New Contributor II

I have setup an ArcGIS Enterprise environment and connected this with my ArcGIS Desktop environment (ArcMap). In ArcMap, there was always the functionality to search for ArcGIS Online content, but since I'm now connected to my Portal, I can only search for content from my Portal. 

I would like to be able to search content of ArcGIS Online and my Portal. Is this possible? I know I can search for ArcGIS Online content within Portal itself via the web-browser so I assume there must be an option to have the same functionality in ArcGIS Desktop connected to my Portal?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JonathanFarmer_oldaccount
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Wim,

I'm not aware of a way to do this within ArcMap. The content that you can search for is based on the environment you are connected to and is set in ArcGIS Administrator.

In ArcGIS Pro, we have an option to easily switch back and forth between active Portals (ArcGIS Online being one) allowing you to search content in both. You can also add content from both to the same map.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/projects/manage-portal-connections-from-arcgis-pro.htm#ESRI_S...

Jonathan

0 Kudos
WimBergkamp
New Contributor II

Hi Jonathan,

that's very unfortunate. We are not yet migrated to ArcGIS Pro, so we will have to stay on ArcMap for a while. As an admin I can switch between portals via the ArcGIS administrator, but all the ArcMap users of the organization can not. For them, there is no way to connect to Portal and be able to browse the ArcGIS Online contents. You are positive that there is no such option? Or via a workaround by connecting to some ArcGIS Server or something?

The problem is that some of my users want to be connected to our Enterprise environment, but others will not use it. I can only set 1 default in the ArcGIS Administrator application for all users, which makes it a difficult choise to make.

0 Kudos
JonathanFarmer_oldaccount
Occasional Contributor III

Wim,

Yes, unfortunately there isn't going to be a way to accomplish this in ArcMap without making a change in ArcGIS Administrator. This complaint was one of the reasons we made the switch Portal functionality available in ArcGIS Pro because we had heard this from other users as well.

As far as a workaround, I'm not aware of any. Someone else could chime in possibly on that.

Jonathan

0 Kudos