Can I change which database a Publish Service is using

Jump to solution
04-10-2018 02:12 PM
MichaelBartlett
New Contributor III

I published a MXD form ArcMap 10.3.1 pointing at a Oracle Database using an EZ type of connection.

When I published, it said I need to register my DataStore, which I did by Importing the SDE connection file.

Now we are done testing, and will want to switch these Map Services to a Production connection.

Can I just edit the Registered Databases's Properties in the DataStore window of ArcGIS Server?

When I tried that, and then looked at my Map Service Workspace in ArcCatalog, it seems to be still pointing at the old connection.  So I am not sure it worked or Not.

What is the best way to do this, without having to republish all my map services?

I added a Word doc with a couple of screen shots, if that helps to clear anything up.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

At 10.3.1, there's no supported way to update the connection string for services without republishing. At 10.4 and on, though, there's a new tool called the Externalize Connection Strings tool which is meant to be used to help update services when the credentials used to connect to the database expire or change, but could be used to update the hostname as well.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

At 10.3.1, there's no supported way to update the connection string for services without republishing. At 10.4 and on, though, there's a new tool called the Externalize Connection Strings tool which is meant to be used to help update services when the credentials used to connect to the database expire or change, but could be used to update the hostname as well.

MichaelBartlett
New Contributor III

Thanks, I appreciate the help very much, even though I am stuck republishing for now.

0 Kudos