Can Federated ArcGIS Servers by Upgraded While Portal is Upgrading?

Jump to solution
02-18-2021 11:38 AM
JonSwoveland
Occasional Contributor

So upgrading Portal in customer's staging environment took almost 3 hours to complete.  To minimize the maintenance window required for the production upgrade, I'm curious if we can go ahead and complete the upgrade of the hosting ArcGIS Server and additional federated ArcGIS Servers and their respective web adapters while Portal is upgrading. 

Esri's docs "recommend" doing the upgrades in a specific order, but don't explicitly say you can't do them in parallel. 

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HenryLindemann
Esri Contributor

Hi @JonSwoveland

So if everything is on one server then you are out of luck, if you have a multi-tier system then you can upgrade each server at the same time, but the post-configuration will have to be done in order e.g. you can't register datastore before server etc.

Regards

Henry

View solution in original post

5 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

I think they are being nice to use the word "recommend".

They probably should document it as "required" and plan for an 8 hour maintenance window.

JonSwoveland
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Bill.  I suspect this is the case, but it sure makes me wonder what is going on under the hood.  My understanding as to why the Portal upgrade takes so long is due to it re-indexing the db.  Re-indexing can be initiated via the portaladmin endpoint at any time without taking Portal offline, so why make the update take so long?  

0 Kudos
HenryLindemann
Esri Contributor

Hi @JonSwoveland

So if everything is on one server then you are out of luck, if you have a multi-tier system then you can upgrade each server at the same time, but the post-configuration will have to be done in order e.g. you can't register datastore before server etc.

Regards

Henry

JonSwoveland
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Henry. I should have clarified this IS for a multi-tier deployment, so that helps.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Henry

If it is multi-server, I think you can do the installation at this time, but post-configure should follow orders.

Regards,

Bing