Can a Desktop 10.2.2 user make a Database Connection to ArcServer 10.3.1

11-20-2015 11:01 AM
PaulHuffman
Occasional Contributor III

After a long and painful process of upgrading from Server 9.3.1 to Server 10.3.1 https://community.esri.com/thread/161853 because our Desktop 10.2.2 users could not connect to Server 9.3.1 https://community.esri.com/thread/165892,  now I can't figure out a way to make a database connection from Desktop 10.2.2 to Server 10.3.1.  Are my 10.2.2 users stuck between server versions? 

0 Kudos
14 Replies
PaulHuffman

In that first link,  if I go down to client 10.2 and slide left to Enterprise geodatabase using an ArcGIS service connection,  I don't see geodatabase 10.3.1.  Just up to 10.2.2.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Paul,

You will only be able to connect to a 10.2.2 geodatabase using an ArcSDE service connection with a 10.2.2 client.  However, you can connect to a 10.3.1 geodatabase using a direct connection with a 10.2.2 client.

I believe ArcSDE service connections have been deprecated at 10.3.

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Jake, in the matrix, it indicates a 10.2.2 client can direct connect up to 10.3 - it doesn't explicitly include 10.3.1 (it does elsewhere in the matrix, though) - is this supported?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chris,

Yes, connecting from 10.2.2 to 10.3.1 is supported.  I just found an enhancement request to update the documentation:

ENH-000089731 : Update the 10.3 Help resource link under "Client and geodatabase compatibility - Compatibility Releases" to include 10.3.1 geodatabase versions

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

If you direct connect, it looks like clients on 10.2.2 can go up to 10.3 - blarg... too many dots... doesn't look like you're in luck to go to 10.3.1 - you mention connecting to 10.3.1 in the title, but "ArcGIS Service Connection" in your reply - as far as I know, the last version of this is 10.2.2 (which is reflected in the matrix) - there is no ArcSDE install in 10.3.x (you can use 10.2.2, though, if you have the SDE files).

If you were using a fgdb, you could create an earlier version. As far as the ArcSDE connection, wouldn't that work since you're creating a 10.2.2 instance?

0 Kudos
PaulHuffman

I don't know the difference between a direct connection and a ArcSDE connection.  I'm just trying to get Desktop 10.2.2 ArcCatalog >Database Connections>Add Database Connection  to make a connection to Server 10.3.1.  Which is that? Direct Connection? 

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

A direct connection to a geodatabase is one that is made using the database management system's connection methods and direct-connect drivers in the client application. The connection is made directly from the client to the database without the use of an ArcSDE service. Direct connections are also known as two-tiered connection

Only direct connections are supported to ArcGIS 10.3 and later release enterprise geodatabases.

That is from the help page Essential geodatabase administration vocabulary—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

The way I wrap my mind around it is that 10.3.x (and if I remember 10.2.2) Server did away with having a service, e.g. 5151 running for each SDE.  When you connected to the service you were basically having a "3-tier" connection...client->service->SDE_database.  With the Direct connect, the service is eliminated. This option has been around for quite a while, even back in 9.x but even I was using the 3-tier back then.  Here is a blog that talks aobut it  Why should I be making direct connections to an ArcSDE geodatabase? | ArcGIS Blog   it's from 2008 but might help.

The great thing, in my opinion, is the setup/administration of 10.2/3 is so much simpler, as are making the direct connections. Connecting to an enterprise geodatabase or database from the Catalog tree—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop   and if needing to do it in a python script Create Database Connection—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

On another note, although there is definitely a place for ArcSDE (versioning, editing, etc.), for ArcGIS service, with 10.2.x and especially 10.3.x, file geodatabases are much faster now (in my opinion) than using ArcSDE.  For out services, I keep the master database in SDE, but replicate )or export) to a FGDB for creating my services.

PaulHuffman

Plain old file geodatabases, just residing in a Windows folder?  I thought I was going through all these extra steps to have the data reside in SQL server for a performance boast.  And what about image services and map services: can I publish those from data residing in file geodatabases?

0 Kudos