Can a composite locator be copied over to AGO via distributed collaboration?

07-08-2021 10:43 AM
MichaelBouvet
New Contributor III

I want to expose a composite locator geocoding service to AGO via a distributed collaboration. We have a firewall that does only allows us to send content and not receive content. 

I was able to get the locator over to AGO via the collaboration, but it appears to be shared as a reference, rather than copied completely over. This is a problem for us because our vendor needs a rest url from AGO, not our enterprise as they cannot get over our firewall. 

If copying over composite locators is not supported, please provide any suggestions to get around this problem. 

Thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Share the composite locator with your vendor and let them host it on their server.  OR you can share the locator publicly in AGOL and give the link to your vendor.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
MichaelBouvet
New Contributor III

I tried sharing the locator directly to AGOL, but ArcGIS Pro will not let me because its greyed out (see below screenshot). Are you able to do this? It is not greyed out when signed into enterprise.

MichaelBouvet_0-1625770011287.png

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Are you logged into AGOL and what are your permission levels?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
MichaelBouvet
New Contributor III

Yes I am logged in as an administrator. 

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

What level licensing do you have in ArcGIS Pro?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

My apologies @MichaelBouvet 

According to this information online, you can publish it using your ArcGIS Enterprise account then share it for use by ArcGIS Online users.

See information here:  https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/share-a-locator.htm 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
Tim_McGinnes
Occasional Contributor III

Just to clarify Amanda's answer a bit - you cannot host a locator service on AGOL. It has to be published to your ArcGIS Enterprise. What you can then do is take your Enterprise locator service and set it up as a utility service in AGOL. That way web app users could use your locator instead of the World Geocoding Service. Unfortunately that does mean the Enterprise locator service would have to be internet accessible.

MichaelBouvet
New Contributor III

Thank you so much for this clarification! This is what I feared 😕 

Our firewall will not permit incoming traffic, so a utility service that references the locator in server will unfortunately not work 😕

I submitted a ticket to ESRI to see what they might suggest. I will also be attending the user conference next week and will seek some assistance there. 

0 Kudos
Steve_SchunzelAtTacoma
New Contributor III

@MichaelBouvet - I know it's been over a year, but did you ever get any more clarification/suggestions on this or is that public facing Enterprise REST endpoint still a requirement?

Steve Schunzel, GISP
Enterprise GIS Technical Lead
City of Tacoma | Information Technology
0 Kudos