Cache: "No Data" Tiles in areas not covered by Imagery

01-25-2013 01:27 PM
MeleKoneya
Occasional Contributor III
We have aerials obtained in 2010 which cover our entire muncipality and aerials from 1969 that only cover a portion or our area.

I have published both the 1969 and 2010 SDE raster datasets as map services and have generated map caches.

What I would to do is have the 1969 return a "No Data" tile in areas covered by the extent of the 2010 imagery but no imagery exists for 1969.

I have placed the "missing" and "blank" PNGs and JPEGs in my 1969 cache directory, but it is not working as I would like.   I have tried to cache the map
service to only the extent of the 1969 data or to the full extent of the 2010 data and neither works.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21083[/ATTACH]

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Mele,

I think this problem might be resolved by identifying the exact footprint of the 1969 data (represented by a polygon feature class) and then by using that feature class to specify your cache area.  See this help on "Map Caching Based on Feature Boundaries".

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Map_caching_based_on_feature_boundaries/01...

Once you've have the 1969 data cached the next steps would be to publish the 2010 data as a separate service using the same schema adding LODs as needed.  From that point forward, I believe ArcGIS Server would handle dispensing the "no data tile", if that is what you want.

Regards,
Doug Carroll, ESRI Support Services, SDK Tech Lead
http://support.esri.com/
0 Kudos
MeleKoneya
Occasional Contributor III
Doug,

Thanks for your reply.

Here is what I got to work, which also may be what you are suggesting.

I created an MXD that contains our 1969 imagery and set the "Extent  Used by Full Extent Command" in the Data Frame Properties to an extent that is similar to the full extent of the 2010 imagery and that is much larger than that covered by the 1969 imagery.

I then published the MXD as a map service and imported my tiling scheme from my 2010 imagery.

Next I created tiles for the Full Extent of the service using Manage Map Server Cache Tiles dialog in ArcCatalog at my smaller scales (500K, 250K, and 125K).  

I verified that the Area of Interest settings match the full extent as set in the MXD at time of publishing.

After creating the small scale tiles,  I then used a polygon representing the boundary of our imagery for 1969 and set the Area of Interest in the Manage Map Server Cache Tiles dialog in ArcCatalog and cached the remaining scale levels.    

The "missing" tiles now show up in areas that beyond the area covered by the 1969 at larger scales.

Mele
0 Kudos