bug? (ERROR 001170: The reduced study area polygon is too small for analysis.)

10-26-2012 12:48 PM
RoyceSimpson
Occasional Contributor III
I've got several mxd's that I'm publishing with all their layers off by default and get the below error.  The services publish anyway but are stopped.  I simply start them and they are good to go. 

I would be great not to get this error though.

Executing (Publish Service Definition): PublishServiceDefinition ... # 
{"buildInitialCache":false}
Start Time: Fri Oct 26 14:42:39 2012
Validating publish options.
Connecting to the server.
Getting basic item metadata for service definition upload.
Getting server information (server folders, data stores, etc.).
Extracting manifiest from uploaded service definition.
Validating service definition.
Determining service's input folder name.
Attempt to find service's input folder.
Creating the service.
ERROR 001170: The reduced study area polygon is too small for analysis.
Failed to execute (UploadServiceDefinition).
Failed at Fri Oct 26 14:42:41 2012 (Elapsed Time: 3.00 seconds)
Tags (2)
24 Replies
SarahNoakes1
Occasional Contributor II

I've had this today too.  I'm running desktop 10.2.2 publishing to server 10.3, but I've been doing that all week with no issues.  It would be nice to get a more meaningful error message...

Deleting the original map service and republishing worked for me.

Sarah Noakes

Cornwall Council

JeremiahGlascock1
New Contributor II

Sarah,

I am having the same issue as you.... I'm trying to publish from desktop 10.2.1 to server 10.3 but its not even creating the service. I still get the error. It takes roughly 30 minutes just to get the error. ArcGIS Server logs do not say anything... no warnings or severe errors and we only have one machine so i am apprehensive to delete it out as mentioned above. I have created new MXDs with the scale set at 10k and that did not help either. It would be great to know if there is a solution. I think I'll log a ticket with ESRI Support.

0 Kudos
SarahNoakes1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Jeremiah,

I have a call open with ESRI UK and they are discussing the issue with ESRI Inc.  I'll report back when I have a resolution.

For me the error is intermittent - I can republish a map service several times and then every now and then I get the error.  We have two servers in our cluster, and the configuration store is on a third separate file server.  The issue seems to have something to do with ArcGIS Server not being able to get a lock on the files in the config store when it tries to delete and rename them.

Yesterday I tried removing one of the servers, and temporarily moved the config store locally to the remaining server.  The issue still recurred intermittently.

Sarah Noakes

Cornwall Council

0 Kudos
TobiasFimpel1

I am in the process of building our Enterprise GIS Server site, and have been doing a lot of testing of various environments and software versions since months(!). This is one of the errors we come across frequently. I have strong evidence that this is a problem caused by network issues. If you have other information please share, but I would bet that nobody subscribed to this thread has had this error with a single-machine site where config-store and server-directories are stored locally on the machine that runs ArcGIS Server - unless of course you were working with tiny extents or something that would make the "reduced study area that is too small for analysis" message an accurate and true description of the problem. If you did, please share that information too, (because then I'll have to revise my hypothesis.) Thank you!   

BrunoMendes
Occasional Contributor

I've had this issue and both config-store and server-directories are on a shared folder.

I did'nt give much attention to the problem because it starts and works as expected.

We are now using version 10.3.

deleted-user-ugCMpXci8bn5
New Contributor III

I am having this same problem when I run a Python script to create map services on ArcGIS for Server 10.2.  I can manually publish a service from the same mxd on the same server.  This error is causing my script to end prematurely.  Has anyone found a solution? Is anyone from ESRI reading this? Thanks,

0 Kudos
TobiasFimpel1

I have seen this using 10.3 as well.

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

I should also mention that the services created before the error is thrown appear to be on and working, but the Python script fails on the error and subsequent services are not created.  Also, all of my layers are turned off by default.

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

I changes some parameters in my Python script, and now I can run it in 64-bit.  These seems to have eliminated my particular problem; I am no  longer getting this error.

0 Kudos
ErnestoCarreras3
Occasional Contributor

I am experiencing the same issue with a multi-site GIS server configuration with no Web Adaptor. The only difference is that I am publishing a Geolocator service.

001170 : The reduced study area polygon is too small for analysis.

@Esri

0 Kudos