Branch versioning named versions - new for every service?

05-25-2022 10:09 PM
AneteZvaigzneLV
New Contributor III

Hello, I am taking baby steps to branch versioning. I have the documentation. Probably I have missed the answer to my question. If so, I apologize. 

I have a layer in my sde. I publish it as branch versioned service. (with version management capability enables of course) I create multiple named versions. Say one for John, Peter and Anne. I publish another service. For the same team. I do not see the previously created versions! Do I create new set of three versions for each of my editors? And I have to do it with eeeverrryyything? And also if I understand correctly, two people at the same time cannot edit one named version, because it creates locks and confusion? 

So basically I would really really appreciate in short and for dummies explanation - how can I keep my three created named versions for all my editable services. Maybe via groups? I feel lost. Thanks for the support!

Cheers, 

Anete

0 Kudos
3 Replies
cdickerson
New Contributor III

Hi Anete,

Based on the info you provided above and from my own understanding, you would need to create the versions on the new service you just published. It sounds like you might have created versions in the SDE database first and then published; which fall in line with traditional version methods, which you don't need to do. Branch versioning administration is managed at the service level instead of the database like before. Once you create versions on your service, it behaves really similar to that of traditional versions. Additionally, I'm not aware of a global version management system yet for ArcGIS Enterprise, so each service you would manage independent for the versions that would be available. Finally, you are correct that two people would not be able to occupy the same version for editing simultaneously.  

Hope that helps!

Chris

AneteZvaigzneLV
New Contributor III

Thank you Chris! I'm glad that at least one thing I got right away about the simultaneous editing.

However I did not quite understand the create versions on your service part. I did create the new version for the published service, not in SDE as you understood. I also made this little cute graph that visually tells what I am asking above.

To make sure, when another layer is published as a service I have to re-create every version ? And so when I publish POLYGONS LAYER as a service, I have to create another set of portaladmin.JaunaVersija and ANETE.ZVAIGZNE.VersijaA ? That will make 4 different versions (with double names!), for two layers, for the same people and the same workflow?! Is there any way I can create one version for field workers that would work for all the services that field workers use? As there is the same sde.DEFAULT for each service? 

Maybe @MelissaJarman  or any of her colleagues could help with my silly question? 

0 Kudos
cdickerson
New Contributor III

Hi, Don't know if you have been able to progress in your project but hope all is well. The create versions on your service is apart of how branch versioning differs from traditional. Ultimately, after you get your service published, you use that service in ArcGIS Pro as your input for when you create a version. That version is then managed at the service instead of the DB. Hope that helps and provides some clarification.

0 Kudos