Best way to visualize BIM fil

05-23-2024 02:39 PM
GISER
by
New Contributor
Hey GIS folks,
I am a GIS analyst (not a BIM user), and I've received a large dataset from a client consisting of about 140 BIM files, each averaging 400 MB. My task is to find the best approach to migrate these BIM files into a GIS environment for visualization purposes only. I don't need detailed data; I just want to see the buildings.
I've used the "Create Building Scene Layer" GP tool to convert these BIM files to SLPK format, and then published them on the Portal for ArcGIS to be used as Scene Layers in a Web Scene and create a 3D Instant App. However, I'm facing significant challenges:
  1. Performance: The Instant App consumes a lot of machine resources, causing the browser tab to become unresponsive.
  2. Pop-up Customization: I need to customize the pop-ups to display specific information (such as block ID or parcel ID) for the entire building, rather than for individual components like windows or doors.
Workarounds I've Tried:
  1. Setting the visibility range for Scene Layers.
  2. Turning off some layers—only about 30 out of 100 layers in the 3D app are turned on, with the rest disabled.
Unfortunately, using ArcGIS GeoBIM is not an option because the client does not have access to Autodesk 360.
environment: 
ArcGIS Enterprise 11.2
ArcGIS Pro 3.3
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DA_BIM-GIS
Esri Contributor

Hello @GISER

Based on your what you are describing I think you can do it with only the exteriorshell of each digital model. with the assumption that 1 digital model represent a single building. 

Are you doing all the 140 digital models into a single BSLPK ?  

David

0 Kudos
GISER
by
New Contributor

thanks @DA_BIM-GIS  for your support,

actually all models are displayed Exterior Shell only 😂.

No i generate SLPK for each BIM model (.rvt).

Also I read that the Navisworks (.NWD) is a light format of BIM models, I don't sure but if yes is there a way to migrate into GIS!

0 Kudos
DA_BIM-GIS
Esri Contributor

Hello @GISER 

if you are doing the exteriorshell only, i will not recommend doing BSLPK as you will be carry extra geometry (elements) that you don't need. I will published the exteriorshell as 3D objects. 

Also, ArcGIS Pro does not read Navisworks natively, but if you want to use that route you wll need to convert the navisworks files into FBX ( I will recommend reducing the number of polygons so the files are of manageable size)  and then import the .fbx into Pro. 

David

0 Kudos